Speedo stays at 0 when driving

-

mopardart72

I'm a pretty big deal
Reaction score
This isnt for my dart but for my 96 neon. When i was getting it ready ro drive back to my dads. and started it the speedo wouldnt even bounce and it stood at 0 i even gassed it but it's still not calculating speeds what could it be? If you could help me i would be soo greatfull as the thing MAY get liscensed tomarrow but the alternators going out of it so that needs to be fixed tomarrow before we get it liscensed too

There's no mechanical cable. Check the sending unit on the transaxle or the wiring connected to the sender. I'll bet the sender is bad.

Okay. except i heard that i may have to resolder behind the hash on the circuit board. because it JUST started doing that along with the alternator being out

Resolder behind the dash on the circuit board? Sounds like we don't have the whole story.

No thats just what ive heard on neons.org i dont know whats going on because they say the points in the circuit could be shorted and to fill it in with solder. im thinkign about getting a new cluster from the salvage yard. and new connectors

The speed sensor in the tranny is used by the engine controller too. If its bad you will have a code stored in the computer. Get the car to your local autozone and let them pull the codes for you. That will give you an indication if its the sensor or the speedo in the cluster.

you said the alternator is going out are you running on a almost dead battery? that will sometimes shut down electrical componets such as the dash

My daughters Neon worked when it wanted to until I melted the solder on each the eight(?) pins on each socket that plug into the car. Just heat the existing solder and let cool. It worked great ever since.

Good tip there, scoot; I may have to try that myself. (97 Neon, same problem) Funny thing with mine is, in the dead of winter it worked fine until the interior got some heat in it, then it would drop to 0. It's low on my fix-it list right now. I've got a skipped timing belt to deal with! :(

-
Back