Speedo wont work, and wont shift right

-

swingingdart

Reaction score
Two problems, my down shift linkage needs adjusted, i just have no idea what it needs to be like. and my speedo wont work. its completely hooked up, but it wont move. i know the gauge works. if i put the cars gear in this truck transmission, would that make it not work? i may have done that,,,,,

A good starting point for the throttle valve linkage is to adjust it so that when the carb is wide open the linkage is pushed all the way back. Most of the time they work fine like this but once in a while you run into one that'll wind up too much before it shifts so you have to back off the adjustment a little until you get the shift points where you want them.

When you installed the speedometer gear did you index the adapter correctly for the gear you used? If you look on the speedo gear adapter you'll see 3 sets of numbers, 26-31, 32-38, and 39-45. Those #'s correlate to the # of teeth on the speedometer gear. Lets say you have a 34 tooth gear. That means you align the middle set of numbers (32- 38 to the 6 O'clock position. If you don't index it right it can either not work or ruin the speedo gear. Click on the JPEG I attached and you'll see a picture of the adapter showing the #'s

One last thing. If the speedometer pinion doesn't have the correct amount of teeth the speedometer may work but it could be inaccurate

Attachments

• Speedo pinion adapter.pdf
    105.1 KB · Views: 84
-
Back