Speedometer and gauges

-

belmateo

Reaction score
OKay, I took the dash out of the 65 Barracuda to fix the odometer and amp gauge. When I pulled the gauge cluster out, the amp gauge was not even hooked up. Someone spliced them together and bypassed the amp gauge. I put it back to the gauge and when I start the car now the fuel gauge is off ( it showed half a tank before and now shows full tank). Does anyone have any ideas what could be the fault?
The speedometer works but will not turn the odometer, when I took it apart I found one gear that had worn out. Does anyone know where to get speedometer parts for a 65 Barracuda?

I don't know of any reason the amp gauge would affect the fuel gauge.
A higher than normal gas gauge reading indicates low resistance from the gauge to ground. A bad connection would give a higher resistance and cause the gauge to indicate low fuel - not higher than before. That is strange. Are you sure the tank is half full now? I'd go to the gas station and top off the tank just to make sure.

Do you know if the temp gauge is working normally? The reason I ask is that they are both powered by the output of the instrument voltage limiter.

Don't know about the speedometer gear but hopefully someone else here will be able to help you with that.

Hi Ronny,
You and I are on the same track, I did not mention the temp gauge and yes it is reading higher also. I think You are right about the voltage limiter, now I just have to find one. Do you know if they are interchangeable between the years, I think I have one out of my 68.

-
Back