Speedometer cable leaking at pinion adapter?

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
Hey guys i narrowed down my leak, im leaking gear oil between the speedometer cable and the pinion adapter, is there a seal between the cable and the pinion adapter or does the cable just seal on the threads of the pinion adapter.
View attachment image.jpg

If I remember correctly when mine leaked in @ the same place it was the o ring seal on the pinion shaft.

The inner seal correct? The orange seal goes around the adapter and the smaller seal seals the pinion to the pinion adapter correct?

Yep
Small seal goes in with the open side facing the trans.
Lightly grease speedometer gear shaft on assembly.

Attachments

• speedo.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 489
Ok thanks for the info guys, also i looked on my pinion adapter and one set of notches it says 32-38 and other set says i believe 26-36 what do these numbers refer to? May just buy a new pinion adapter and speedo cable while im at it

speedo gears are different diameters at the teeth. To line up correctly with the gear in the trans the speedo housing is made with the speedo gear off center. you rotate the housing so that the mark on the trans lines up with the mark next to the proper set of numbers. To figure out where it should be count the teeth on your gear and then line up the matching range of numbers on the housing.

Ok thanks so when i pull the pinion adapter will i easily be able to pull the pinion out to count the number of teeth or will i be able to look down in there and count the number of teeth?

The pinions that I own have the number of teeth embossed on the pinion with a circle around the number. I am at work or I would post a picture.

To be honest i dont know if it has the right pinion in it, may need pinion, adapter and new speedo cable

Speedo doesnt work anyway lol

To be honest i dont know if it has the right pinion in it, may need pinion, adapter and new speedo cable

Speedo doesnt work anyway lol

Lets call it the speedometer gear (that's it's name):D
It will come out with the larger aluminum part and then it just pulls right out, and it's be obvious if you need a new one.

I had one go bad enough that it actually pushed fluid all the way up to the speedometer on my 87 Dakota (904 trans) and was dripping fluid onto my legs one night when I was 16 years ago on my way home from work...It wasn't raining...lol It took me a minute to think of what it was...Sure enough the seal on the inside of that little gear housing was shot and let fluid travel all the way up the cable to the back of the dash...

Ok so when the speedometer gear pulls out with the adapter and i go to reinstall it, do i have to worry about lining up the speedometer gear with the gear in the trans? sorry guys this is the only part ive never messed with, the adapter and speedo gear were already installed when i got it back from being rebuilt, any assembly or disassembly tips or advice?
Also what determines speedometer gear size?
I have no clue what speedometer gear is in there now and dont know if the one in there is even right

I had one go bad enough that it actually pushed fluid all the way up to the speedometer on my 87 Dakota (904 trans) and was dripping fluid onto my legs one night when I was 16 years ago on my way home from work...It wasn't raining...lol It took me a minute to think of what it was...Sure enough the seal on the inside of that little gear housing was shot and let fluid travel all the way up the cable to the back of the dash...

I have seen that happen before, and it kind of freak you out till you realize what the deal is.
Bet your cable didn't have lube problems though, did it? :D

Ok so when the speedometer gear pulls out with the adapter and i go to reinstall it, do i have to worry about lining up the speedometer gear with the gear in the trans? sorry guys this is the only part ive never messed with, the adapter and speedo gear were already installed when i got it back from being rebuilt, any assembly or disassembly tips or advice?
Also what determines speedometer gear size?
I have no clue what speedometer gear is in there now and dont know if the one in there is even right

Probably the best way for you to do it the first time is to mark the adapter vs the trans case so it can for sure go back in right.

That being said, notice how the cable screw threaded part is off center in the adapter, and that the adapter has notches for the clamp (retainer) bracket tips to sit in.
Also notice the numbers next to each set of notches.
The adapter would be rotated in it's hole to line up with each different size of gear that can go in it.
In yours the case has a little tit next to the gear size that is in it now (32-38 teeth)

The output shaft in the trans has a threaded section cut into the steel that drives the plastic gear,(like a worm gear drive) so when you put it all together and test it, lets say your speedo reads 5mph slow.
In that case you would get a one step smaller gear, and rotate the gear housing to match the numbers on your new gear,
Obviously, the smaller gear would require that the housing be rotated to make the gear closer to the output shaft.

Once you pull it and notice these details it will make total sense to you.

In this picture it shows the housing ready for the clamp/retainer to go on and using a speedo gear between 32 to 38 teeth.
Notice how if it was a 26-31 teeth speedo gear the housing would be rotated to the right and the offset would put the smaller speedo gear closer to the output shaft.

On a problem child leaker or a speedo gear with a groove worn in it from the seal, we used to put two of the small seals in there and leave the little metal ring out.
The cable end being in place then holds them in place and the outer seal has a new ungrooved surface to run on.

Now you are a Mopar speedometer gear changing and sealing pro. :D

Attachments

• speedopinionadapter.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 546
I have seen that happen before, and it kind of freak you out till you realize what the deal is.
Bet your cable didn't have lube problems though, did it? :D

Probably the best way for you to do it the first time is to mark the adapter vs the trans case so it can for sure go back in right.

That being said, notice how the cable screw threaded part is off center in the adapter, and that the adapter has notches for the clamp (retainer) bracket tips to sit in.
Also notice the numbers next to each set of notches.
The adapter would be rotated in it's hole to line up with each different size of gear that can go in it.
In yours the case has a little tit next to the gear size that is in it now (32-38 teeth)

The output shaft in the trans has a threaded section cut into the steel that drives the plastic gear,(like a worm gear drive) so when you put it all together and test it, lets say your speedo reads 5mph slow.
In that case you would get a one step smaller gear, and rotate the gear housing to match the numbers on your new gear,
Obviously, the smaller gear would require that the housing be rotated to make the gear closer to the output shaft.

Once you pull it and notice these details it will make total sense to you.

In this picture it shows the housing ready for the clamp/retainer to go on and using a speedo gear between 32 to 38 teeth.
Notice how if it was a 26-31 teeth speedo gear the housing would be rotated to the right and the offset would put the smaller speedo gear closer to the output shaft.

On a problem child leaker or a speedo gear with a groove worn in it from the seal, we used to put two of the small seals in there and leave the little metal ring out.
The cable end being in place then holds them in place and the outer seal has a new ungrooved surface to run on.

Now you are a Mopar speedometer gear changing and sealing pro. :D

Wow thanks a bunch everyone, so it should pull out and go back in easy?
Also should i just worry about replacing the two seals and inspecting the current speedo gear, if all is good reinstall then check to see how accurate the speedometer is?

The leak just started about a month ago but the speedometer has never worked

Yes ,it is removed and reinstalled pretty easily. Just follow the directions provided in the posts. Here are the seals that you should get before removal http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=221857547170&globalID=EBAY-US . You might want to download the factory service manual, and just follow the directions. Do a search above and download it. Also there is a website somewhere ( again do a search and I'm sure it will pop up ) on which speedometer pinion you will need for your application with all the variables.

Wow thanks a bunch everyone, so it should pull out and go back in easy?
Also should i just worry about replacing the two seals and inspecting the current speedo gear, if all is good reinstall then check to see how accurate the speedometer is?

The leak just started about a month ago but the speedometer has never worked

You got it. :D
There is a chart somewhere (service manual?) that tells what speedo gear you need determined by tire size, gears and how far your speedo is off.
But you have to know how far it's off if it is, before you can do anything about it really.
Slap new seals in there and see what she says.

Do 75 in a 45 past a cop and see what he says you were doing. :D
Then tell him you needed something to check your speedometer against and see what he says.

JK, don't do that. :D

I know this is an old post , sorry I will try to ask my question on a new post??

-
Back