Speedometer cable location '69 Valiant...

-

nitronut

Reaction score
I'm installing a new speedometer cable on my '69 valiant. Small block. Have the speedometer end connected to the dash and ready to connect the transmission end to the transmission. Second time around putting in a new cable as the last time the speedometer was jumping around and sending high readings (85mph when doing around 20mph). Checked and wasn't kinked. Used powder graphite inside the cable housing this time to lube. Hope that wasn't a mistake.
Speedometer/odometer have been rebuilt. Anyone know the cable's best routing path to the transmission from the firewall? Thanks in advance...

MP1Z0204.jpg

69 Valiant.jpg

nice car. there's a couple of fold over tabs under the body about under the seat. they hold the cable from flopping around. if you hook it up at the trans it should pretty much just want to lay in the right place. looks like a March pulley setup. what are you using for a fan?

images.jpg

nice car. there's a couple of fold over tabs under the body about under the seat. they hold the cable from flopping around. if you hook it up at the trans it should pretty much just want to lay in the right place. looks like a March pulley setup. what are you using for a fan?

View attachment 1715588889
Thanks! ... I'm using an 18 inch fiberglass fan after trying a derale and a couple more I can't remember. Car always ran hot. 190-205 degrees. Also have an electric pusher but don't need to use it as much because the fiberglass does the trick. Was at a Winter swap meet (Michigan) two years ago and was talking to a guy who had an alcohol funny car there and we were talking about overheating issues. He told me about the fiberglass fan and said installing one would move a ton more air than anything else and he was right! This past summer was a hot one and the car ran 175-190 degrees all day long. Not looking down at my temp gauge all the time now like I was. Thanks again for the picture/info...

Thanks! ... I'm using an 18 inch fiberglass fan after trying a derale and a couple more I can't remember. Car always ran hot. 190-205 degrees. Also have an electric pusher but don't need to use it as much because the fiberglass does the trick. Was at a Winter swap meet (Michigan) two years ago and was talking to a guy who had an alcohol funny car there and we were talking about overheating issues. He told me about the fiberglass fan and said installing one would move a ton more air than anything else and he was right! This past summer was a hot one and the car ran 175-190 degrees all day long. Not looking down at my temp gauge all the time now like I was. Thanks again for the picture/info...
The fiberglass fan has much more of a blade pitch...

-
Back