speedometer cable removal

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to lube the speedo cable and advice on removal from behind speedo. I'm assuming that is the best place to shoot the lube .

how does this come off? two screws? upper and lower? Or am i looking for a clip? im a little large and getting under the dash can be a bit challenging (with a warm-up though i can still do it). i saw in another thread that dry graphite is NOT the stuff to use. what is the recommended lube?

symptoms are....above 60 mph if i hit a bump the needle waves back n forth about a 10 mph swing with an intolerable noise.

Thanks FABO!

20200517_131708.jpg

Yes, a little lever-style clip- press & wiggle and it should pop off.
For lube, what I do is pull the cable out of the housing and inspect it, it should not be worn or frayed at all anywhere along it's length. If it is, replace it. Then, using a grease gun with a needle, pump grease down into the cable housing. Work the cable in and out a couple of times while twisting it. Repeat. The idea is to get the cable to push as much grease as possible down into the housing (sheath) as far as possible. When done, push the cable as far into the sheath as possible; if you're lucky the square drive end will slide into the trans. drive end (gear). If not, spin the cable until you feel it pop in. There is a small collar on the cable that should contact the cable housing flush- if it's not, then it's not all the way in yet. Once it's in, just push the cable back on to the speedo housing. Might have to play with it a bit to get the drive to engage, but it just pushes on.

ok, so the wrap up is.... thanks to the advice, i figured out the removal and method of lubrication of cable. one thing i might add is to use a variable speed drill motor to manipulate the cable in/out. first two feet are no problem but with greasy hands the cable hits some turns and can be unruly.

works great! thanks FABO!
20200618_104551.jpg

-
Back