Speedometer Cable

-

weldedrail

Reaction score
I bought a replacement cable last week from Kragen and the one that they gave me is the same on the instrument cluster end but does not match the transmission end. My original cable has a large nut on the end that threads into the transmission. The replacement has a smaller round "hand thread" type nut. Took it back with my old one to compare and they were no help as they said that was the only part number for my car. Looking at most of the pictures online at other auto parts stores they look like the one Kragen gave me. By the way my car is a 70 dart swinger 318 with a 904.

Even though the new nut is round and wont let you use a wrench on it, it should screw on the port threads. It never needed a large hex collector or wrenched tight anyway.

Whatcha talkin bout "threads into"?

You will be better off getting the repair kit and using your old housing anyway. Those china made replacements are too long and cheap crap.

I got the same wrong cable (small threads) at Autozone for my '68 Dart. I went to Napa and ordered one, it had the right fittings but it was about a foot or two too long. You might want to look into just replacing the cable itself, might be less of a headache that way.

Ok, I will get under there tomorrow and look at it again, maybe it will work but the new one looks way too small.

-
Back