Speedometer cable

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine if I need a new speedometer cable. The rear end in my Duster has been upgraded to a 3.21 gear. Afterwards I replaced the pinion with the correct one (32 tooth) When driving down the highway my odometer is almost 10% off when the needle is around 70mph. I remember when I first bought the car the odometer was slightly off. What else could cause this since the pinion has been replaced? Do I need to replace the original cable with a new one?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Is the speedometer off, the odometer off, or both?

If the odometer is correct then you have the proper pinion.

So if speedo is off and odo is correct, then the speedometer itself probably needs recalibrating. (My Dart is like that)

If both are off the same percentage, then you have the wrong pinion. (My 65 Chrysler is like that)

If Speedometer is correct, but odometer is off, then most likely there are problems at both ends.

The odometer is off but the speedometer seems to be a little off when traveling at highway speeds. This is the chart I went by. It's from year one. My rear tires are 215/70/14

http://www.yearone.com/pco/1_0309/full.asp?page=399

I should note that when I purchased this car it had a 2.45 gear and the odometer was still almost 10% off. But the tires from when I purchased it were G70 x 14's which I beleive are slightly taller than the 215's. So maybe I need a 33 tooth. Sounds like thats the only answer.

Thanks for the info.

-
Back