Speedometer delete

-

hotrod swinger

Reaction score
904 trans

My speedometer is disconnected at the gauge cluster, and I have no plans to reconnect it anytime soon. I was thinking I would remove the cable entirely for now.

Can I simply remove the cable from the trans without concerns about leaking? Is it necessary to cap the adapter?

Thanks!

It may drip, may not. Pull the assembly, and measure the hole. Use either an engine block expansion plug drifted in or for an easily reversible option: one of those rubber bolt type expansion plugs.

D36F2CE9-DF97-4572-B12F-DD31D5FC8B04.jpeg

B09E7736-92E7-4A12-84D6-9903286F8F6F.jpeg

Can I simply remove the cable from the trans without concerns about leaking? Is it necessary to cap the adapter?
I would take out the gear and find a cap for it. (AC systems might have a cap that would fit?)

OR take out the gear and drill and tap the hole for a plug

you could probably just remove the drive cable from the outer cable and then put it back on the transmission to keep debris out,then all you would have to do is replace the drive cable when you wanted to.

or you could remove the whole cable and simply put a cap, like the ones you get on a hydraulic hose when you get them new, over the speedometer gear.

It sounds like I can just leave the speedometer adapter in place without capping it. I’m not really concerned about debris getting in there, it’s not going to effect anything.

Maybe when I install my converter I’ll remove the adapter and install a freeze plug.

-
Back