speedometer

-

jimmy1

65 barracuda
Reaction score
I just replaced a broken speedometer cable, And after a test drive the needle jumps all over the place. Does anyone know what causes this?
They're rather expensive and I sure don't want this one to break

Is the cable you put on the car used? If so it may be dirty inside. If new then I would think the same as above, a kink or bend to sharp causing friction.

mine does this as well but only up too 30mph then its fine

as said above sharp bends in the line can cause this but also if the inner cable is not lubricated this can happen. When I bought my cut to fit lokar cable I had to grease the inner cable. not sure if you can grease a stock cable

On my 69 Dart.The needle on mine stays at the 80 mark and as soon as I start rolling the needle drops all the way to the right.It works, but not so well:???:

It's a new cable and appears to have a smooth track all the way to the transmission. I took it loose and got some grease inside.It was very hard to get the end to go inside the transmission,had to tap it with a hammer and punch where the old one just slipped right in , is that normal ?

I wonder if you take it out of tranny and hook it into a drill and give it a try, see if it still bounces all over.

-
Back