Speedometer

-

Yote

Reaction score
Trying to figure out why speedometer doesn't work. 1972 dodge demon 4 speed. Dash needle moves when cable is turned by transmission. Cable has good fit into mount at transmission. Pulled gear out of transmission, and it looks good. Noticed numbers on gear shaft housing AFTER I took it out. They are evidently for correct positioning of housing so gears will mesh. My question is where numbers positioned when installed for correct fit.?
Speedo Gear is 37 tooth, rear is 3.55 , tires are 245-60 r14. Do I need a different gear to be more accurate?

I think so, isn't there a little mark on there? The case I mean, to line it up with.

You will rotate the housing adapter so that it puts the gear closer to the tail shaft. No sure how the number reads. I believe it should appear just to the left of the reaining fork ear on the left side. As you rotate and feel resistance try LIGHTLY turning the gear with a small screwdriver to see if it is engaged.

37 tooth is in the ballpark for a 25.5" tire. It's going to read a few mph slow with the 37, a 36 tooth would be the most accurate (according to the chart in the Year One catalog).
The "32-38" numbers on the gear housing go at roughy the 6:00 position when you install it. The clamp will align it to the exact position where the gears mesh properly.
speedopinionadapter.jpg

Had to go to shop to check. Had pic of housing before I took it off, Numbers not appearant because of paint ,but seems to have been in correct position. I am still confused as to why it won't work. Have new gear ordered anyway.

-
Back