Spent some money!

-
My 74 Vette was fast as hell.........this is gonna need to be faster!

no problem, easy to make your notch faster. you just think your vette was fast, anything seems fast when your butt is dragging on the pavement, just like the old gocart. just kid'n.
you have a nice parts list. enjoy your notch

To each his own, but I hate the way 17" or bigger wheels look on otherwise mostly stock looking '60s-'70s cars. Now if you're going for an all out pro-touring look or whatever, big wheels and modern sticky tires are certainly O.K.
Tell you one thing, a '60s car with even those "sucky" BFG T/A radials on it handles about 5X better than the same car with really sucky stock F70-14 bias ply tires on it!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. To each their own. I think 14" rims look ridiculous on anything bigger than a Nash Metropolitan.;) And I'm not personally a fan of anything much bigger than 18" rims on these cars most of the time (although there are a few well done exceptions).

But the bottom line for me isn't how it looks, it's how it handles. I want my car to handle as closely to a modern performance car as it can (within reason), because I use it as one. And the market simply doesn't have anything in the way of street legal, high performance tires for a 15" rim. So, on to 17 and 18" rims for me because you can get tires in those sizes that make BFG T/A's seem like F70-14 bias ply's. Yes, I've driven on those too, and the change from the BFG T/A's to the BFG KDW2's I run on my Duster is at least as dramatic as going from F70-14's to T/A's. No kidding.

And as an added bonus, 17/18" rims allow for bigger brakes to make use of all that extra traction to stop the car in a reasonable distance too.

But I know I operate in a bit of a niche. I use my Mopars as my dailys, and I expect them to be able keep up with everyone else's modern stuff, including being able to avoid everyone in their modern cars with all of their modern distractions. And these cars can absolutely do that, but it takes adopting some of those modern technologies too, like better tires, brakes, shocks, etc.

Don't get me wrong, you can still make a lot of improvements in handling in these cars and retain the BFG T/A's. Larger torsion bars and sway bars, better shocks, etc, will still improve the handling compared to stock even with the BFG T/A's. But the tires will become the limiting factor before too long. You can still do a lot with some 1" t-bars, aftermarket sways, Bilstein's and some T/A's though, and that will still be a HUGE improvement over stock. It just depends on what you're looking to do.

-
Back