Spicer trac lok

-

Dartish

Reaction score
Any body running a Spicer trac lock in a daily driver? Looking at getting one for my 98 1500 4wd with 9 1/4 rear. Are these the ones the factory used? Basically my daily driver work truck so don't wanna go the locker route. Especially when I can get this through work for about $290, then another $75 for bearing and seal kit. Live in the boondocks where there's alto of mud roads and the snow gets deep during winter.

Tried to look on Summits site but it was a bust, no go.
About 8 years ago I put one in a power wagon for a guy and he loved it,
worked great and was a great deal from Summit.

I can get one through work pretty reasonable. Was wondering if they are pretty reliable units. Gonna see some hard use, but nothing too serious. No huge tires or big horsepower. Looks like an economical way to get power to both back tires without an annoying locker. Thinking you just add your tone ring, ring gear, and bearings?

I got one in my 2000 silverado 4x4 and it's held up great, quiet, hammer down on a right turn never spins unless you make it, had it in for 4 years,
Eaton trac loc.

Both of my Durangos have 9 1/4 track locs in them. I highly recommend that you replace the crush collar on the pinion with a solid noncrush collar.

I think that same unit will fit in a Dana 44 front axle. Or so I've Been Told.

Last edited:
What's the difference between the Spice track lock and a power lock?

Trac loc has a single pin with 2 spider gears.
Power loc has 2 pins with 4 spider gears. Stronger can handle more abuse.
Both are rebuildable.
I've never seen a power loc in a 9 1/4.
My wifes 78 Little red express has a 9 1/4 sure grip that uses the cones instead of clutches.
Dana owns Spicer and Eaton axle and brakes.

Last edited:
-
Back