spindle drilling

-

DennisP

Reaction score
Good Morning folks,
I have a 71 Dart with the \6 and 9 inch drum brakes.
I was shocked at the price of the lower ball joints. I was thinking( this is very dangerous) why not drill the spindle to the 9/16 bolt size and buy the later model ball joints.
I have not looked at the spindles to see if this may be reasonable,just thinking and asking before I jump.
Thanks for your time
Dennis P

I did this to put KH brakes on my '63. The drill followed the hole very well. Havn't had any problems, yet... lol

,Cliff

Good Morning folks,
I have a 71 Dart with the \6 and 9 inch drum brakes.
I was shocked at the price of the lower ball joints. I was thinking( this is very dangerous) why not drill the spindle to the 9/16 bolt size and buy the later model ball joints.
I have not looked at the spindles to see if this may be reasonable,just thinking and asking before I jump.
Thanks for your time
Dennis P

WHOA WHOA!!! STOP STOP STOP! Don't do it. The 9" drum brake spindle is already the weakest spindle, and drilling it would make it even worse. It would also have to have the correct taper to seat on the ball joint, which you couldn't achieve with a normal drill bit...I wouldn't even think of doing this crazy operation. Think of your life, and others lives when that part fails. Suspension and brake components are no place to compromise...

-
Back