Splined sway bar

-

5.7 hemi

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone using one? If so, please post pics.

No pro touring guys running a splined sway bar?

I looked into them briefly for my Duster, the conclusion I reached pretty rapidly was that unless your actually racing the car the cost-to-benefit ratio was all kinds of wrong. There's no "kit" specific to A-bodies with torsion bar suspension, so you'd have a project that was heavy on fabrication and custom parts. Magnumforce has splined bars with some of their coilover conversion kits, but you'd probably have to run a magnumforce conversion to make that work. They were charging $529 for the option added to their kit. :eek:

This Dart built for the Australian trans am series has one, but based on the rest of the build I don't think they were worried about the cost or the custom parts.
img_4765-jpg.jpg

Here's an article with some more build details.
1968 DODGE DART STREET-REGISTERED RACER

Last edited:
Thanks!!

I've found a few kits for 250 smackers and they would be easy enough to adapt to the QA1 k-frame I have.

Thanks!!

I've found a few kits for 250 smackers and they would be easy enough to adapt to the QA1 k-frame I have.

$250?! Did they "fall off a truck"?

Because the generic kits usually start around $500 and go up rapidly from there.

Sounds like overkill unless you're trying to knock another tenth or two from your lap times.

They are used from NASCAR and are on eBay. The reason I'm considering this is I didn't quite like the QA1 lca's and got an oem set but the don't have sway bar tabs. Also the QA1 k-frame says a sway bar from 73-76 is what is to be used. A splined sway bar would allow me to customize the sway bar location and mounting to the lca's.

Adding sway bar tabs to a stock set of LCA's is a piece of cake, can be done on the car with the LCA's installed. Not sure what's wrong with the '73-76 sway bar set up either, runs though the K so it improves clearance compared to the earlier ones. I like mine. You can get the tabs from BermanAutoCraft, aka Peter Bergman, aka @GMachineDartGT. Bergman Auto Craft - Home of the Modern Muscle Car Would be easier to weld those on than fab a splined set up from a NASCAR.

What about the QA1 LCA's didn't you like?

I couldn't get the tb set right, but stock lca's, perfect. I have 72' and down lca's, and the QA1 K-frame says yes 73-76 sway bar......am I missing something? Can I use a 72' down sway bar?

I couldn't get the tb set right, but stock lca's, perfect. I have 72' and down lca's, and the QA1 K-frame says yes 73-76 sway bar......am I missing something? Can I use a 72' down sway bar?

Couldn't get the torsion bar set right? You can't use the normal method to clock the tubular LCA's. Typically you just let the LCA hang down as far as it will go and insert the torsion bar. Well, that works with the factory LCA because the factory LCA hits the K member at a certain point. The tubular LCA's don't, they'll hang straight down perpendicular to the ground and that will clock them 1 hex flat off. Been there, done that. You have to pay more attention to the tubular LCA install to get them clocked correctly.

All the factory LCA's are the same except for the location of the sway bar tabs. 72 down, 73 up, doesn't matter if they don't have factory sway bar tabs. I wouldn't use a '72 down sway bar, although you probably could. You can put them on 73+ K's, not sure if the QA1 would be able to use one, it would depend on whether or not you could attach the '72 down sway bar mounts. But the 67-72 sway bars hang out front, so they're more in the way than the '73 up style that passes through the K member.

-
Back