spongy brakes

-

66dartman

Reaction score
last year I changed my 66 over to the 73-76 front disc with all new parts except spindles, UCA's and prop valve from the 73 donor car. I have 10.5" x2.5" rear drums also. It is manual brakes. I have bled them both with a vacuum pump and with an assistant. They stop okay, they just feel spongy. I installed a roll control for the front brakes and re-bled them and they still feel the same. I had to drive the car the other day(just about ready to swap the 6 out) and the brakes work okay but spongey. Normal? anything I missed?
Thanks in advance!

I agree that the original style bearings are the best, although I have never used anything else. There are literally millions of rear ends out there with well over 100,000 miles on them with original bearings that are still fine. Unless my memory is failing the green bearings were originally advertised as a drag race only bearing. Low friction for more power to the ground, but not much for longevity. I have heard people who loved them, and people who burnt them up in a hurry. I'd stick with the Timkens. Their quality has always been exceptional.

-
Back