Spool install question

-

carls72dart

Reaction score
Hi Fabo, I'm in the process of installing a spool in my 72 Dart. I have a 489 case that had a sure grip that had gone south...:(

Is this something that should be left to a professional, or something I can tackle myself?

If there are any pics or videos that would help, I'd greatly appreciate the help!

Any and all feedback is always greatly appreciated :)

The only catch to this, is getting the pinion depth set correctly so the gear set meshes correctly other wise it will be a bad deal.

The only catch to this, is getting the pinion depth set correctly so the gear set meshes correctly other wise it will be a bad deal.
Thanks Fisher, it's the first time tackling this type of project. I really want to learn to do ot and do it right!

If your Re-using the same Gear set, I dont think it should be that hard.
I am using the same 3.91 gears. My big question is, what parts get reused and which are no longer needed?

Once the bearings are pressed on the spool, they then get bolted under the main caps? Is that correct?

Also, the outer adjusters still are used to set backlash?
Thanks for the feedback

If your only issue is the carrier then you don't even need to touch the pinion unless it is leaking. Just swap the ring over and set the backlash.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my thread. This is why we have the best forum.......period!

Thank you all. My Uncle called today, his friend is going to build the rear differential. Super excited! :)

Thank you all. My Uncle called today, his friend is going to build the rear differential. Super excited! :)
Measure the backlash before you take anything apart and record the reading. Then when you reinstall the spool and ring gear you just need to adjust your adjusters with preload until you get the same backlash as before. If you don,t touch the pinion you gear pattern should go right back where it was.

Duane

-
Back