Spot weld cutters ???

-

SleeperScamp

Reaction score
I need some good ones . What do y'all use??? How long do they last??? Where do you get them ????? Etc...... etc.... etc....

I had a spot weld cutter once that I used and it worked good but the cutter teeth would sometine get caught on something then break off, it was basically a very small hole saw. I got tired of buying new cutters and went back to using a regular drill bit.

Chuck

Uh, Yeah what Chuck said

Pretty sure eastwood.com would have them. There's different sizes.. most common are 5/16 and 3/8". I used/broke about 10 of them doing my car.

The afore mentioned little hole saw type are pretty common and less expensive. Problems have already been pointed out. Your mileage will vary. Some cutting oil helps.

I also tried a "Cobalt" bit I got at a paint supplier. It worked better, lasted longer, and was reasonably priced. (Pictured on right below)

One of the best is Blair. But they're $$$.

340Mopar's suggestion of a regular drill bit works about as well as the low cost solutions.

spot 01.jpg

Cobalt.jpg

I never had good luck with the cutters. I just resharpen a 5/16" drill bit so that it has way less of a pointed shape. With some practice you can stop before going through the back panel. Then I use a HD putty knife with a solid steel handle to coax it to seperate.

Has anyone used the Blair???? Is it worth the money?? Thanks for all the input.. Good suggestions...

I just buy them at Princess Auto, a local Chinese harbour freight place as you call it. I think they're like 10 bucks for two. they wear out, I buy new ones. Punch a mark in the center of the spot weld first to keep the drill bit in the right spot.

SleeperScamp said:
Has anyone used the Blair???? Is it worth the money?? Thanks for all the input.. Good suggestions...

I use the Blair Tool Mfg Rotabroach spotweld cutters and absolutely love em. Yes, I broke a couple learning to use them correctly but once I figured it out I havent broken another, and the one chucked up right now has well over 200 cut welds to its credit and will still slice your finger open.
Bought a "kit" off Ebay, was about $60 and came with like 8 different sized cutters, an arbor, center punch and some spare pins.
I found a place locally and the cutters are about $23 for a 3 pack (cutters only).
You need to make a SOLID PUNCH with the center punch, give that pinpoint something to locate into. The centering pin is spring loaded and adjustable. Dont set the pin spring load too light or you'll skip out of the cut and possibly break the cutter. Go slowly, dont need to force it. I found I use a slightly smaller cutter bit than it looks like is needed. Also dont forget the cutting lube...I use (dont laugh!) bacon fat. Works like a champ!

-
Back