Spray paint remover

-

cooooledart

Reaction score
My 1969 dart is spray painted over the original paint, first with black, then with rust preventing paint, the then with gray primer. Is there a way to remove the spray paint without damageing the original paint underneath?

Attachments

• 7106.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 129
That's a tall order, and I Imagine it was sanded before anything went on. Sounds like a lot of material to be removed and there was probably issues with the original finish before it was done.

You could try some different solvents in small areas and see what happens. It totally depends what kind of spray paint was used.....lacquer oil or enamel based. Solvents that come to mind are lacquer thinner and acetone (essentially nail polish remover). Stop if you see he factory colour coming off. Chances of the original paint being good and saveable are slim to almost none.

Try using some CRC brake parts cleaner in a small spot and see how it works. IF they didn't do a good job prepping the surface, then the paint should come off ok. Usually they don't spend much time prepping under neath if they are using spray cans...

Thanks for the help! But i figure ill sand it all the way down to bare metal and do all the body work the right way

-
Back