Spray Painting My Cloth Headliner

-

shovhd

Reaction score
I know, I know I should just replace it, but it's still in good shape. Right now it's green and I want to spray paint it black. Has anyone tried this? What kind of paint should I use? I've read that some craft stores make special paints just for painting fabric.

Thanks

Nigel (cheap)

use the vinly drye its its usally at the autozone 11.00 a can it works slow and wide spray

Nigel,

I did this several times when I was younger and it always worked out prettywell. Granted, I think I used whatever I had around the garage (probably satin Rustoluem). It definitely was NOT the proper paint to use but once the overpowering smell went away (about a week with windows down ion the garage) it lasted for years since it was not an interior piece that the body does not comes in contact with. At least I knew to tape off and cover the interior and a good chunk of the exterior of the car and be patient with spraying thin coats and letting them dry before applying another.

There are much more appropriate rattle can upholstery dyes out there now so go check out what's available. I would start with SEM first and see what they offer.

duplicolor vinyl dye works awsome. i did my back seat, door panels, head liner, i even did a piece of carpet. the stuff works great. check out the pics my interior was gold when i got the car and i redid it in black.

IMGP0434.jpg

IMGP0433.jpg

I used the duplicolor on my spirits interior seems to be decent its allready started to wear off in some places. I would try sem ive heard nothing but good things about there paint.

Thanks for the imput. Did you do anything to treat the surface before applying the paint?

I cleaned the pieces painted with warm soapy water then wiped them off with a damp cloth then dried them.

-
Back