Spring in bottem heater hose

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
Where can I find the spring for the bottem heater hose?

Is there a special part number or something to get one with a spring in it?

This is for a 75 dart with a 360.

I assume you're talking about the bottom radiator hose. Not sure what brand of hose has the spring inside since I haven't bought one in awhile, but just check with your local parts store to see if the brand they carry (probably Gates or Dayco) have the spring in the hose for your application. This spring is not available by itself to my knowledge.

Yes, its the radiator hose. See what I get for typing stuff at almost 4AM?

I wonder if they will let me in the back and check out the hoses? All they can do is say no I guess.

If I find one I will post where I found it and what brand of hose. :thumbup:

340mopar said:
You don't need a spring in the radiator hoses and actually it can restrict flow.

Chuck

No offense, but what low grade crack you smoking???

You most certainly DO need the spring in the lower radiator hose, and (as many before you have found) removing it can cause problems like overheating at highway speeds yet no problems at idle. It isn't actually a spring as such. It is designed to prevent the lower radiator hose from collapsing and preventing coolant from flowing at higher engine speeds. I am sure there are probably hoses on the market that are so thick walled or stiff they wont collapse under given circumstances, but the OEM hoses came with anti-collapse springs for a reason.

I would TRULY love to hear how a chunk of wire, spiral wound and designed to prevent the restriction of coolant flow, will "restrict" coolant flow?

As stated, I do not believe you can find them at a parts store or aftermarket (maybe Year One or Paddock?) but you should be able to scrounge one up from a salvage yard yet.

An LA water pump unresticted on the the outlet cannot flow enough water to collapse a 1-1/2" hose. But remember the outlet is resticted with a thermostat. Meaning the flow in can't be more than the flow out.

Also a cooling system is a pressure system, at 12 - 16psi which is what most radiator caps are it would take a pretty large pump to collapse a suction hose. This is the main reason you do not need a spring.

And anything in the path of flow will restrict flow, a curved hose will flow less than a straight hose because of friction loss. I probably should have used the "could" instead of "can" because it would depend on the situation for it to restrict flow, if at all.

Not one of my vehicles (10) including my drag car have a spring in the lower hose and they do not collapse or have any cooling problems.

Thanks, for the personal attack with the drug smoking thing.
Chuck

The spring is not needed in a propely functioning cooling system. The hose collapse hysteria Krapy alludes to is due to a stuck open thermostat on an engine running high rpm (highway/deep gears) with a old worn out soft hose. And the wire coil whose purpose is to prevent this on poorly maintained cars is potentialy more problematic than the benefit of preventing this unlikely (yet possible under certain circumstances I've described above) overheating .

But I'll leave it up to Krapy the expert to explain exactly what potential problems the spring could cause if he's man enough to show us some more of his expertise.

If I remember right they went away from using the spring because of the spring bringing rust issues.

Ok, I gather, if you have an old thin soft hose from back in the day you need a spring. If you have a new improved thicker hose you don't need one anymore.

NAPA didn't have any with a spring anyway.

I guess I will run it as is and If I have any problems with overheating at the end of the 1/4 or on the Hwy on the way there, I will investigate further.

Thanks for the input.

Ace said:
But I'll leave it up to Krapy the expert to explain exactly what potential problems the spring could cause if he's man enough to show us some more of his expertise.

No one makes mention of any hysteria, but I suppose all the voices in your head make you think someone said it, eh, ***......I mean ace.

Also, again you demonstrate your inability to comprehend what you read. You need to go back to school and learn to read and comprehend you piece of crap. I am not the one who said the wire CAUSES problems. I said it prevents a possible problem. 340mopar said it will cause problems. But like I said, your such a hillbilly backwards fawk, you can't comprehend anything. Moron.

I said it last time, your mother have any that lived?

I just got one the those goodyear "flex" raditor universal hoses for my chrysler newport when it needed a new lower hose. I think the spring is part of the hose wall, and cannot be removed. My local parts stores only have the "right" fitting hose for GM and Ford most of the time.

The engineers at Chrysler did realize that under certain high speed conditions the hose could collapse so they included a reinforcing wire into the bottom hose. Unfortunately most people would not maintain their cooling systems with periodic flushings and proper antifreeze. The wire would rust and break off passing on to get lodged somewhere in the system. That`s one reason for not seeing the wire ribs in the hoses much anymore. Secondly, everything is just getting cheaper, it cost more to put the rib in, and the demand is low. I`ve bought one in the last year with the wire but can`t remember where. I bet Year One or the like would have one.

As Longgone stated....as wellI was under the impression that the newer or (later) rad hoses had a re-inforced spring molded within the rubber itself....I cut one in two and there was a spring core.... :scratch:

At the risk of getting "Sniped". I just helped a friend on his small block Chevy that was sucking the lower hose shut whenever you opened up the throttle. Everything is new, not rebuilt, the cooling system flows like a mother. We ended up installing a spring in the lower hose. It helps keep the hose from collapsing, but you can still see it getting sucked in. I would be interested in knowing what the causes of this are and what possible fixes could be employed. (Don't say thermostat, we changed it and nothing was different.)

Revhendo

Revhendo said:
At the risk of getting "Sniped". I just helped a friend on his small block Chevy that was sucking the lower hose shut whenever you opened up the throttle. Everything is new, not rebuilt, the cooling system flows like a mother. We ended up installing a spring in the lower hose. It helps keep the hose from collapsing, but you can still see it getting sucked in. I would be interested in knowing what the causes of this are and what possible fixes could be employed. (Don't say thermostat, we changed it and nothing was different.)

Revhendo

you see you left yourself open. sure you covered the basics like thermostat, but you forgot how its a chev.. and the price of steel is worth the trade.. Nuff said.. hint hint. :headbang: Sorry man.. i had to!

HI I'm new here so bear with me on my writing form and whatever needs improvement! I remember talking to a Goodyear hose engineer alot of years ago about wanting a bottom hose with a spring in it. He told me I didn't need it, explaining they only put springs in hoses going to the car assembly plants-further explaining that the only reason they were put in was to speed coolant fill on the assembly line-the system was evacuated creating a vacuum. The spring holds the lower hose open for the quick pressure fill of coolant. Once the vehicle is off the assembly line the spring has served its purpose. I also found this written in print in the 1997 Goodyear Belts & Hose Book on page 643. Hope this helps anyone who was wondering! I have some knowledge of Goodyear part numbers and old application books. Hopefully I can help a few people out. Myron

-
Back