Spring rate

-

Mopar87

Reaction score
Anyone have a chart or a listing of what the stock front and rear spring rates are?The rear springs in 73 scamp seem pretty shot because a transmission was stored in the trunk when I got it.So the springs were full on negative arch.I removed the transmission and the spare parts that were kept back in there and the springs are flat and dont have much arc to them.Pressing down they dont offer much resistance.If that soft squishy spring rate was what they came with I can see why they would be described as a tuna boat. So I'm just wondering the springs are just trashed or if they are supposed to be that soft.

According to the FSM, flat is not necessarily bad. Section 17 - " A relatively flat rear spring gives better lateral stability and reduced side sway..." No rate listed.

There are rates for the torsion published somewhere. I'll see if I can find them. Others probably know where they are.

For the rear springs...I have not seen any published rates by Chrysler. Doesn't mean they aren't out there. I have seen the published rates for aftermarket springs. That doesn't mean anything about what the OE springs were.

-
Back