Spring Recommentation?

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
I am doing a budget build on a 318. 74 dart sport (You know, a politically correct Demon), aprox. 2500-2800 stall converter. Roller LA 318. 904 with 999 gears. Dual plane intake with 600 holley vac. sec. 302 casting heads. 3.23 rear gears in an 8.25. Gonna start out with stock valves in the heads till funds allow, then maybe pull the heads and put some 1.88/1.60 valves in later. Not too sure about the valve upgrade though.

Anyway I want to use this regrind from oregon camshaft:

Grind number 1331 (from their HYD ROLLER CAM SPECS).
Duration at .050 232/240
Duration at .006 281/289
Lobe Seperation angle 112
Lobe Center 108/116
Lobe Lift 350/355
Valve lift (ratio, Int./Exh.) 1.5, 525/533
1.6, 560/568
1.7 595/604
1.73 606/614
1.75 613/621

Gonna use the stocker valve train. So I suppose the rocker ratio will be at 1.5.

Can somebody help me with a spring that would work out with these heads and camshaft? Its gonna be a street engine with a redline around 6500. This motor is just something to get the car on the road, I just dont want to put very much money in a 318. I do have a drill press, and if I remember correctly I can get a valve seal boss cutting tool that I can cut the valve guides down to increase the clearance there if necessary. However, right now a drop in spring would be the best. Also, I am sure I have a set of standard type valve retainers somewhere, I believe these heads have the rotator type retainers on the stock valve spring setup.

Any help would be great.

Oh yea, and costs isnt something that I want to skimp out on with the valve springs. I hate seeing hot cams with stock springs.

Thanks for any help.

You won't "use the stock valve train" for long. The spring pressure required for that cam will make rockers fail in no time flat.

With that much duration and 3.23 gear it will be a pig. You need to cut the guides down to lower the seals to handle the lift. Get a cam with less duration and lift with the 302s.

This was the thread where this cam selection was recommended to me.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=237478

Only thing I forgot to omit in the above was the custom length pushrods. That and I had said that I was going to use 5500 governor weights. I suppose somewhere along the way my redline got increased. I would rather lower the shift points and redline than go with aftermarket valvetrain.

This was the thread where this cam selection was recommended to me.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=237478

Only thing I forgot to omit in the above was the custom length pushrods. That and I had said that I was going to use 5500 governor weights. I suppose somewhere along the way my redline got increased. I would rather lower the shift points and redline than go with aftermarket valvetrain.

In that thread you said you had 3.55 gear. GL

In that thread you said you had 3.55 gear. GL

Yea I sure did. My mistake. Was in a hurry this morning to get that posted to get some answers earlier today. At the time of that thread, I THOUGHT the car had 3.55 gears, and not 3.23. Or perhaps I had intended to go over to 3.55 gears.

I am very interested in how the valve spring selection would change due to a rear end gear swap. While my best mechanical experience works around troubleshooting, Im not the best at parts selection in performance. I got an idea, but lack the details.

Later this evening I am going to start a new thread and make a very detailed explaination about what I am trying to do.

And for the record, I take EVERY piece of advice on this forum very seriously. I have found more information beyond the basics in this forum beyond anything other forum I have ever talked on.

Thanks.

-
Back