spring relo=shorter shocks?

-

Ptdartfreak

Mopar freak
Reaction score
I am in the process of doing a spring relocation to the frame rails on my car and was wonder if i am going to need to run a shorter shock cause its a shorter distance when the springs are on the frame. What did you do?

I am in the process of doing a spring relocation to the frame rails on my car and was wonder if i am going to need to run a shorter shock cause its a shorter distance when the springs are on the frame. What did you do?

It will depend on what springs you are swapping to. If you are going to install high arched springs such as SS springs, you will need long shocks to prevent the shocks from maxing out during launches if you ever intend to race the car. I believe the MOPAR chassis book suggests shocks that are at least 28.5" long when fully extended, but I don't have my books with me to look at. Of course that is with a stock chassis and SS springs so you may be good with what you have.

right now its just the stock springs being moved over i wont switch to a shock that raises the car there are no shocks right now so i have to get some

I'd say measure the total lenght of the shock fully extended and also fully compressed. After you've done your relocation mount the shocks and see what they measure with the car lowered on all 4 wheels. Your measurement should be somewhere near the middle range of the full stroke.

yeah but shouldnt i stick a shorter shock in there in order to get the full use of a shock not one thats already half way compressed?

If it is half way compressed with it on all 4's, it will be in the middle of its travel. In other words it won't bottom out too early or top out too early. If you stick a shorter shock in there without taking any measurements, you could end up with too short of a shock and it will max out when you launch the car and won't allow full planting of the rearend which could cause wheel hop at launch. Also, keep in mind that you only relocated the springs in, not up; the shock is probably not compressed a lot more than it was prior to you moving leaf springs. 3" moved in is probably only approximately 2" in compression of the shocks.

see two inches seems to be alot for a shock

thanks for the help i was completly clueless on what to do

thanks

anyone else wanna pitch in go ahead

see two inches seems to be alot for a shock

thanks for the help i was completly clueless on what to do

thanks

anyone else wanna pitch in go ahead

2" is just an approximate guess. I'm no where near my car to take any measurments for you. Unless you've got a deal on some shorter shocks right now that you are looking at; I'd hold off until you take measurements to see exactly what length you want to go with.

-
Back