spring relocation kit

-

72demon440

Reaction score
I have a 72 demon and I was wanting to fit the biggest tire possible inside the wheel wells. At this time I have the rear end and leaf springs out and was going to replace the bushing and go through the rear end. Is it worth doing the leaf spring relocation or what is involved in mini-tubing it? If any one has pictures of both it would be helpfull. Demon will be a street car and has 440/727/4.10gears. thanks,Jared
Also don't want the rear end to sit up like most of them are including mine.

Doctor differential on moparts.com makes a leaf spring relocator kit that is just a bolt on off set kit so theres no cutting the frame.....$185.

Jason

thanks everyone! The dart mini tub shows everything in great detail. I am a mechanic and can figure most things out but this kinda scares me a little. Making the first cut.... I really want to do this though! Just don't want to screw it up. There is a kit on moparts.com for $108 and the weld in bracket is formed to fit the frame rail unlike the mp kit. Have to do some thinking on this one.... Thanks again! Jared

Jared-I'm sure you will do a great job. When you weld, be sure to really clean the areas to be welded by wire wheel or grinder. Try and remove ALL paint and or undercoating. If not, weld contamination will make for some new cursing!! I would not use a torch like these guys did for melting away the undercoating. That smoke is toxic stuff! Rather, a better way would be to use a 4-inch little grinder with a wire wheel. These things spin real fast, and if you "lightly" wire wheel the undercoating, it actually turns it to dust instead of melting and gumming up the wheel. Wear a dust mask though. Then wipe your metal down with a thinner or degreaser. Clean metal is so much easier to weld then grimy, dirty metal. Good Luck!!!

Dale Snoke

Agree on cleaning the metal thoroughly. And get both sides of the metal as well if you can.

IIRC, the undercoating may have asbestos in it, so be really careful with dust. One thing that some guys have used is PB Blaster to loosen up the undercoat. It supposed to loosen up the undercoat and make it easy to scrape off.

If you go the relocation box route, get something to support under the bumper rear rails area. I've seen cars sag slightly in the rear once the structure from the frame is cut out. Sounds crazy, but, it has happened.

Doctor differential on moparts.com makes a leaf spring relocator kit that is just a bolt on off set kit so theres no cutting the frame.....$185.

Jason

His only moved the springs 3/4" of an inch. Just enough to clear the stock wheel wells but if your mini tubbing it its not enough.

-
Back