Spring Relocation kits

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
I have a 1972 Dart, and I'm putting together an indy headed roller cammed 422 sb, with a 904 manual valvebody 3500 stall. I don't want to do the 3" relocation, so I'm thinking of just the 3/4" with offset hangers, etc. I have an 8.75 housing out of a truck to get cut to any length, or I can use my factory a-body housing. Same with axles, I'm going with aftermarket axles so I can do any width. I won't be moving my wheelwells, etc.

Question is, what would you guys recommend for wheel/tire size? I'm hoping to get into the 10's. I'll probably switch to a caltrac setup someday, but right now its got SS springs. I will be using Billet Specialties Street Lites, and probably either 3.73 or 3.91 gears. Will 15x8 with 275/50-15 fit? Or anyone got diameter/width ideas? Backspacing? Thanks for any input!

To put that tire in the stock well requires everything to be almost absolutely perfect. There is VERY little wiggle room.

Get the springs relocated and make sure you have the space. I'm fighting with mine right now because the car has some sloppy tolerances, the springs are bowed outward and a a spring clamp is positioned perfectly to interefere with the widest part o f my tire... It never ends!

Get the tire/wheels you want and measure for the rear, shorten it. Especially if you are buying aftermarket axles anyways. I doubt you can get a housing length less than about 49" otherwise the U bolts will grab your housing ends.

Dr. Diff is a great guy to deal with.

Those Dr Diff parts are nice! Not too expensive, either. For some reason, I thought the MP kits were 3/4". I think what I'll do is move the springs in, buy the tires and wheels, then get the rear shortened and the axles I need. Or, maybe just mock something up with cardboard that would be the same size (approx.) and do the math. I just don't want to get stuck with wheels that don't fit and someone won't take them back after I mount tires on them. And, like you pointed out, crackedback, there are alot of unforseen obstacles I may run into. I still have the car in storage, its in the planning/parts gathering stage, so if I have to I may move the springs in 3" etc.

Another question...I would like the car to handle at least decent. I am going with 15x6 in the front with 215/65-15 tires, I already have 340 resto t-bars, and will probably get a 1 1/8 sway bar. I was thinking of welding the brackets to the lower a-arms and boxing them in, reinforcing my k-member or sending it to firm feel, and I already have poly bushings. Question is, will a rear sway bar work with the 1/2" relocation kit?

-
Back