spring relocation

-

72demon440

Reaction score
I am in the process of doing a spring relocation and mini tub, removed passenger side wheel well today. Just started process today. I was just thinking about when I weld on the new spring perches, if I use the upper front mounting hole to mount leaf springs that will be one inch above stock, do I need to do any thing with the differential housing angle or can I just weld the perches in the same spot as old ones only 3" in to the center. Hope that all made sence! Didn't know if the one inch would make a difference on the pinion angle. Thanks Jared

Hi Jared,

To answer your question, yes, changing the spring eye mount hole location changes the pinion angle.

What I recommend guys do is put the rear end in the car, with the springs and mounting plates held on the axle tubes by the U-bolts, but everything loose enough that you can move it. When you get it put together so it all measures correctly, throw some tacks on.

Anyway, don't worry too much; they make angled shims so you can dial in your pinion angle after you change the spring eye location.

-bill

I am in the process of doing a spring relocation and mini tub, removed passenger side wheel well today. Just started process today. I was just thinking about when I weld on the new spring perches, if I use the upper front mounting hole to mount leaf springs that will be one inch above stock, do I need to do any thing with the differential housing angle or can I just weld the perches in the same spot as old ones only 3" in to the center. Hope that all made sence! Didn't know if the one inch would make a difference on the pinion angle. Thanks Jared

I welded mine on the same angle as the old ones but really the right thing to do is get an angle finder and set your pinion angle.

what would the correct pinion angle be? I have never had to remove or install a rear end before this! I pulled the rear end and the differential as an assembly because I wasn't planning on mini tubbing or relocating the springs, I was just goin to replace bushings, I figure mite as well do it so the 12" tires will be in the wheel wells. That looks awesome! Thanks again, Jared Do you have to set the angle when the axles are it the car with the wheels on the ground because now mine has the rear end jacked way up. Sorry about the questions!

I`ve always set mine at 3 to 6 degrees nose down, normal driving torgue will level that out.

I have a powerpoint presentation that someone else did for mini tubbing.

If you have an e-mail capable of taking a 7MB file. I can send it to you.

Shoot me a PM with an e-mail address if you want it.

-
Back