Spring start up issues

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I finally started my car up and being that I swapped in HEI I was a bit worried that I had something wired wrong. Well it fired right off. I cant believe how it just pops right off with it.. That is great. Although since I installed a new dizzy I need to readjust everything, timing, carb etc.. It seems to be loading up on me and the engine shakes (kinda of stumbles) as you slowly rev it.

Heres the need to know with my car.

360, xe268 cam, air gap, holley 670, TTI's. I think that is really all about it.

So I set my initial timing at 15* to start with. Idle was about 800. Carb screws where about 1 turn out and I was pulling 13hg of vacuum. I adjusted the screws to about 1.25 turns out on both and was able to pull around 13.5-14 hg of vacuum. Couldnt get it any better. So I decided to check what my mech advance was doing. As I hit about 2k rpm the engine shook and sounded rough. Pretty much all that way up to 3k rpm. I never got a for sure reading on my mech advance but I know it was super fast coming in because the dizzy was on a drag car so it had the light springs on both sides (I verified this before I put it in). It also seemed to go to about 50* but not for sure because I was trying to get that shake out of it.

One thing I did notice is that the carbs choke seemed to be partially closed. So I readjusted that, but it appeared to be dripping gas from the primary side as it idled. Again idle was only about 800rpm. Could the float bowl level be out of whack? If it is to high will it just drip gas like that into the carb?

Any help would be appreciated and I will try to answer any questions that I can. Thanks

-
Back