Sprint Car Water Pump Choice: Mopar or FlowKooler

-

racerdude5

Reaction score
I'm having trouble deciding between the FlowKooler 1700 pump for the small block Mopar or the Mopar Performance P4876548. Is the heater inlet and outlet going to have a negative effect on cooling? Is the Mopar pump worth an extra $100? What do you guys think? They both have cnc impellers and are designed for high flow.

I'm having trouble deciding between the FlowKooler 1700 pump for the small block Mopar or the Mopar Performance P4876548. Is the heater inlet and outlet going to have a negative effect on cooling? Is the Mopar pump worth an extra $100? What do you guys think? They both have cnc impellers and are designed for high flow.

You can get the Milodon pump from jegs for about 80 bucks.

Just cap the heater hose fittings.

I've been running a FlowKooler pump on my small block since 02 or 03, it's on engine #3 and still works great. Mine is old enough that the impeller is not billet, just steel with an anti cavitation plate.

The ID of the bypass hose nipple on the pump is just right for a (IIRC) 1/2" pipe tap. I tapped mine and installed an aluminum pipe plug. My Indy intake is not tapped for the nipple needed for the bypass hose. The heater hose nipple can be capped with nipple caps available from most parts stores.

I've been running a FlowKooler pump on my small block since 02 or 03, it's on engine #3 and still works great. Mine is old enough that the impeller is not billet, just steel with an anti cavitation plate.

The ID of the bypass hose nipple on the pump is just right for a (IIRC) 1/2" pipe tap. I tapped mine and installed an aluminum pipe plug. My Indy intake is not tapped for the nipple needed for the bypass hose. The heater hose nipple can be capped with nipple caps available from most parts stores.

Good to hear, I just bought one from Summit

When you get it, put some clay between the impeller and the timing cover. Mine has a lot!(stock water pump) Welded in a 1/8" alu plate and then milled somthing like .020 out of it.

Without the gasket the impeller would just touch or scrape the housing. I did a lot other thing as well. But have not had temp issues with this motor.

I will try and find the link/thread to all the cooling trick.
was written by a circle track racer!!!! but has work well for my 1/4 mile car.

When you get it, put some clay between the impeller and the timing cover. Mine has a lot!(stock water pump) Welded in a 1/8" alu plate and then milled somthing like .020 out of it.

Without the gasket the impeller would just touch or scrape the housing. I did a lot other thing as well. But have not had temp issues with this motor.

I will try and find the link/thread to all the cooling trick.
was written by a circle track racer!!!! but has work well for my 1/4 mile car.

Pardon? Yours has a lot of what? Are you saying that if the impeller is too close to the timing cover it restricts the flow of coolant?

Pardon? Yours has a lot of what? Are you saying that if the impeller is too close to the timing cover it restricts the flow of coolant?

Clearance between impeller and timing cover. Actually there is way too much.

LOL! No just the opposite, My impeller was factory aka" open fin". There was way WAY too much clearance between the impeller and the housing. aka cavitation at high speeds.

found the link if you're interested in all the mods. I did most of them.
Unfortunately, most of the pictures are lost. but the thread is still good.

SB Oval Track Cooling

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70569

I shorted up the distance between the impeller and the housing. took a .125 alu plate, cut and welded it to the time cover area. Then had to machine .020" back out of it. so that the impeller didn't hit the new welded in plate.

In other words i had about .100" between the impeller and the timing cover. after all the welding of the timing cover(water pump area) i had about .020 clearance with the gasket installed.

Did that explain it better?

-
Back