Squeaky (wheels) brakes?

-

DaveS

Reaction score
Hey guys,

74'' Duster, power brakes, front discs, drum rear

whenever im driving around town i hear a squeaky sound coming from (what i believe) is both front wheels..

some info:

it generally only starts squeaking over a while of driving (maybe when pads become warm?)
it gets worse when turning left, gets less worse turning right. changes pitch/loudness.
is most audible from ~5 to 45 MPH (or the road noise get too loud to hear, cant tell)
sound is pulsating, so no constant noise.
increases in frequency when driving faster.
stops when brake pedal is touched, starts right up again when released.

car has new pads

remedies already tried:

pads went in dry, no grease what's however. took the pads out again, copper greased the back.

put in new brake hardware, so: fresh clips, fresh anti-rattle clips, that weird rubber band that comes with it, and new shiney bolt

copper greased all surfaces of the brake caliper contact points

im really reaching in the dark with this issue.. and its driving me nuts!

If your sure it's coming from the front, possibly rotor contacting dust shield? Left and right turn loads wheel bearings differently. When you use brakes taking play out of wheel bearing. Just a thought.

Squeal is usually from a vibration between the pad and caliper housing, or piston. did you put anything on the back of the pad?

Squeal is usually from a vibration between the pad and caliper housing, or piston. did you put anything on the back of the pad?

Yup.
100_0490.JPG

Did you tighten the pad tabs to the caliper? That helps keep it from moving around.

If your sure it's coming from the front, possibly rotor contacting dust shield? Left and right turn loads wheel bearings differently. When you use brakes taking play out of wheel bearing. Just a thought.

first thing i checked! ;)

i did find that the ''fingers'' of the pad, are a little wider than the caliper ''slides'' that they ride upon, but i greased this with copper grease..

should i hammer the fingers so they fit tight on the pad?
Yup they hold the pad tight, pry them up with a flat blade screwdriver and hammer them down the top tab so it is tight, that is probably the noise.

Also did you put anything on the back of the pads? Cant remember the name think it is anti squeal?

I saw the greased this stuff is kind of like a hardening silicone helps lock it to the piston and caliper, Anti Squeel it is called.

-
Back