Squealing distributor?

-

Sirsmiley9

Reaction score
I have a 76 duster with a crate motor 360 magnum that is a year old. Recently it’s gotten cold and warmed up a few times where I am. This cause backfiring through the exhaust, which I at first thought was the timing jumping. However I later realized some bolts on the exhaust were off. So, after tightening the exhaust down and starting the car I had a squealing noise. I have a video as well. I think and I’m hoping it’s something to do with the distributor rather than something in the bellhousing as it sounds like it’s coming from the back of the engine. https://youtube.com/shorts/UpQcVO2deE4?feature=share (couldn’t seem to upload it as a normal video or embed it for whatever reason)

How old is the dizzy ?If you pop the rotor there should be felt pad in the shaft for oiling. A lot of people don't know you should lubricate. I use 3in1 oil myself.
Might not be your issue but throwing it out there .

Grab the distributor with it running. If you can feel a vibration that is the same frequency as the sound, it's the intermediate shaft bushing that's frozen to the shaft and spinning the bushing in the block.

Grab the distributor with it running. If you can feel a vibration that is the same frequency as the sound, it's the intermediate shaft bushing that's frozen to the shaft and spinning the bushing in the block.
I will try that however I do not think it is frozen as I’m in Florida.

I will try that however I do not think it is frozen as I’m in Florida.
You don't understand. I mean frozen as in it overheated and welded the bushing to the intermediate shaft. That kinda frozen.

Are you sure its the distributor? If so pull it out leaving the cap off and rotate the shaft by and a feel how smoothly it rotates. If you feel any roughness or difficulty then there is an internal issue be it mag pick up hitting the reluctor, a bad bushing or bearing. Also check up and down play, somewhere there is a spec for that.

What brand is the Distributor?

You don't understand. I mean frozen as in it overheated and welded the bushing to the intermediate shaft. That kinda frozen.
Yeah, hope he gets that fixed before the shaft shears off (or the distributor/oil pump drive gear) and causes some real problems.

-
Back