squishy lifters.

-

jaxle

Reaction score
im woking on a 70s dart with a 318. it sat in some ones backyard for many a year and is now running again.

it seems as though some of the lifters wont pump up and are squishy. i dont wont to dig any further than the valve covers. so im wondering if i can add something like marvel mystery or some atf of something that will clean up and help fill the lifters for proper operation.

any one got ideas?
is atf in an engine bad?

if by squishy, you mean that you can push them down by hand, you probably shouldn't worry about it. when the engine is running, the oil pressure will keep them pumped up, unless there is a bad lifter then it will make one hell of a racket.

the engine has some noise but its more like a knocking in general and a interesting tingy rattle when it come off a small rev. beats me.

the engine has some noise but its more like a knocking in general and a interesting tingy rattle when it come off a small rev. beats me.

Okay J, so lets get this straight, you have both a knocking sound and a tinny rattle. First does the knock go away when you rev up the engine and does the loudness of the knock change when the engine goes from cold start to hot idle. The tinny rattle could be a leaking exhaust manifold gasket or if you're using cast iron manifolds it could be a cracked manifold.

Terry

Tinny rattle could also be heat riser valve. I usually tie them open to get rid of that.

the knocking is there more so when it warms up. i will look into the ting cause it sounds possibly external.

ya, i hear ya but it aint my car and he dont wont to get into it that far. its for sale and cheap.

-
Back