SRT 10 pick up

-

stansblue72

one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
The guy that does the gardning at our office drove his SRT 10 to work today to show us.

SRT10.jpg

This is what it has for a power plant!

Viper.jpg

500 HP 500 foot pounds of torque.

Seeing that the Viper V10 is based on the 360, I wonder how hard it would be to install in an a-body. Hmmm....

500ho and mid 13 second time slips. the quad cabs are pigs and all automatics.

If anyone has ever raced a truck (I have) will know that it is near impossable to hook one up. That is why they are slower than the compareable weight car with the same HP.

Chuck

I've driven a bunch of these and although they are nice, I'm just not that impressed with them.

The V10, both aluminum Viper and truck cast iron share the same bellhousing bolt pattern with the Cummins diesel. So automatic overdrives are available but the bellhousing is huge in comparison to a 904 or 727. I'm sure it could be put into an A Body and probably has. I've entertained the idea of fitting a cast iron truck V10 into an A Body but the lack of aftermarket performance parts is an issue. Some Viper stuff works and there are some truck performance pieces available like cams and blowers.

They are torque monsters that don't rev very high though plus they aren't light. If I was going to put a truck engine in a car it would be a Cummins diesel.

One of my friends has a reg cab SRT-10 and it is a fun drive. He let me drive it for the first time on the way to a Mopar dyno event. Dyno events are strange because the big talkers often hide when they have the opportunity to show what their engine can do.

Well there was an opening in the dyno schedule and he jumped at it (it was free!). It was a Mustang chassis Dyno. The operators hadn't tested a v-10 and it kicked their butts for a few minutes till they figured out how to configure dyno. With minor mods (cold air intake and a re-flashed chip) it pulled 440 hp to the rear wheels. Impressive to see for a daily driver and you could feel it driving. His was the second highest power of all the mopars that day. Pretty cool for virtually stock.

Driving the SRT-10 are strange because it feels very sporty and sure footed but you are so up high compared to regular cars with that kind of power. It is hard to adjust to the driving sensations coupled with the visual. Was hard to trust the handling at first...kind of like sprinting while thinking you are wearing stilts.

I think I need more "practice". I look forward to driving it again.

-
Back