SRT-4 2.4 turbo swap into an early A-Body?

-

redlinegw

Shannon
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to put an SRT-4 Neon motor into an A-body? I think you can use a 5 spd trans out of a Dakota. It would be cool to put one into a 63 Valiant 2 door and set it up for autocross, I would think it would be dialed! The 2.4 turbo can make 350hp all day and still get 30 mpg on the hwy. Plus the Valiant is lighter then a Neon! Man I want to do this! Someone please build this! I have too many unfinished projects! Uuuggg!

Has anyone attempted to put an SRT-4 Neon motor into an A-body? I think you can use a 5 spd trans out of a Dakota. It would be cool to put one into a 63 Valiant 2 door and set it up for autocross, I would think it would be dialed! The 2.4 turbo can make 350hp all day and still get 30 mpg on the hwy. Plus the Valiant is lighter then a Neon! Man I want to do this! Someone please build this! I have too many unfinished projects! Uuuggg!
My teacher, John Stahl, has talked about doing this to a '65 Dart. You'd need the Jeep Chereokee 5 speed if you want a direct swap. A lot f people have talked about doing it, but never have. I think it'd be really cool, but you'd need to find someone who could build up one of those 5 speeds because I've heard(don't flame me!:angryfir:) those are pretty weak stock which is what people find as the main deterrent to doing it. You could find a way to adapt an a833 or a T5. You would also need to deal with the wiring mess and mounting it. May have to do some tunnel work. But in the end, who the heck has ever seen an A-body with an SRT4 in it, the cool factor would be so through the roof

Oh my word that Valiant is Awesome and that guy did such a good job on the install, just wish he would have used an SRT-4 motor instead of the Mitsu but still rad none the less!

Oh my word that Valiant is Awesome and that guy did such a good job on the install, just wish he would have used an SRT-4 motor instead of the Mitsu but still rad none the less!
Indefinately. It was still cool with the 4G63 in it, he did a really good job, like even if I saw the car, I'd still say your lying through your teeth if you said it had a 4G63 in it

Me and my buddy tim are getting ready to do this install on a 64 valiant wagon. We are going with a 904 transmission. The car will be a street strip deal, and used to promote our work here at the shop. We are aiming for around 550 to 600 horsepower, should put the light little wagon into the 9's without too much effort. We already have the adaptor plate to bolt the 904 to the 2.4 srt motor. Should be a sweet little car!

IMAG0058.jpg

http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?3,1666390,1666390#msg-1666390

2WD Jeep Liberty drivetrain

2011-07-06_121959.jpg

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=375433

Chevy Colorado 5-speed transmission

Your choice....

Greg

Me and my buddy tim are getting ready to do this install on a 64 valiant wagon. We are going with a 904 transmission. The car will be a street strip deal, and used to promote our work here at the shop. We are aiming for around 550 to 600 horsepower, should put the light little wagon into the 9's without too much effort. We already have the adaptor plate to bolt the 904 to the 2.4 srt motor. Should be a sweet little car!
Try and post it up on here as a thread, I wanna see this happen :happy1:

at this point i could swing either way. i have the 5.7 hemi. and now i have the 2.4 turbo decisions, decisions. i could call it " THE 62 LANCER EVOLUTION" hmmmmm....

I agree. The 2.4 turbo would be much cooler then the 5.7. That way, it would still be some form of economy car like it was designed to be.... Haha. It would get much more looks too.

I had an 05 SRT that I did a big turbo swap on. Pretty much just a bigger turbo,intercooler,and drag radials and would run 12.20's at the strip(traction limited too,could have gone faster with slicks) then drive home at 70 mph with the a/c on two friends in the car plus the DR's in the trunk and still get 34 mpg. BUT I only got like 18 mpg when driving around town hahaha but the DOHC 2.4T is a great motor.

well the 62 lancer is supposedly the lightest a body ever built. and now even lighter since i took 18 inches out of it wheel base. i think it will come in at 2150 pounds

Do the SRT4 swap. that would be the most badass car ever

that maybe the way its gonna go. ithought i was gonna be the first with the 5.7 hemi in the lancer but some one beat me to that in the september hotrod magazine. so this might be what will happen. dakota bellhousing and ma5 5 speed. trans. supposed to be stronger than the r154, and can be had for around $300.00 looks like she'll sit right in the pocket behind the k member.

-
Back