SRT8 Duster Swap

-

loki88

Reaction score
So, I'm not entirely sure exactly where to post this so I am posting it here as well as in the New Hemi Swap as well. I am in the planning phase of an epic project. I plan on taking a '72 Duster and dropping in a 6.1 Hemi drivetrain from one of the SRT8's. In addition I want to drop in the complete interior from an SRT8. The front buckets, the center console, the dash, steering wheel, even the back bench set. I know this will be a ridiculous amount of work but I feel that the end state of it will be utterly amazing. I was just curious if anyone has seen or knows of someone doing such an extensive swap. I have been looking for anything swapped interior wise to see what issues they may have run into and how they solved it but have had no success.

LX platform cars are quite a bit wider than an “A” Body. Dash will be quite a challenge as it will be wider, about a foot or more deeper, and six inches taller. Perhaps an instrument swap will be all you can do.

Front bucket seats probably will fit nicely, rear seat will need to be modified. Remember most LX cars; 300 C, Magnum, and Charger are four door cars, and rear seat is shaped differently than a two door car’s rear bench. Also if you have a two door car, you will need to figure out how to get someone into the rear seat, as modern bucket seats out of a four door don’t fold forward allowing access to rear seat.

Rear suspension from LX will be too wide, and wheels too tall to fit an “A” Body. SRT 8 wheels are massive 20 or 22 inch; can’t remember which. My 300 C has 18 inch wheels.

LX transmission is a monster, and will require a lot of metal work to get it to fit. Also Duster wheel base is 108”; I think. All LX cars have 120 inch long wheel base except Challenger at 114 or so inches.

This kind of a swap would go a lot easier on a “B” Body car, as their dimensions are closer to an LX

Summer of 2010 I did see a 1956 Imperial retrofitted with SRT 8 interior, and drivetrain on a; “cost is no option” retrofit. That car looked as if it came from the factory, an unbelievable beautiful effort!

-
Back