SS REAR SHOCKS

-

SSing

Reaction score
Hi,
I´m setting up a SS/B Barracuda, (1968-69) and want to do it as period correct as possible. Racer will only see Nostalgia and Exhibition Racing...
The NOS Imperial rear shocks I have, is very hard to pull out, compared to how easy they compress. Will they may be soften up some, when being use for some time?
I have a feeling, back than, these shocks were used more because of the extended lengths needed, to make the Super Stock Leaf Springs work properly.
On the other hand, they soon dipped in to the nines, so of cause racers knew what they were doing.
Question is, is my set "normal"?
And what is a good starting point, when it comes to the this ratio?
Any advise from you experienced guys is appreciated.
Thank You.
20161025_101149[1] NOS Imperial Rear Shocks.jpg

Hi,
I´m setting up a SS/B Barracuda, (1968-69) and want to do it as period correct as possible. Racer will only see Nostalgia and Exhibition Racing...
The NOS Imperial rear shocks I have, is very hard to pull out, compared to how easy they compress. Will they may be soften up some, when being use for some time?
I have a feeling, back than, these shocks were used more because of the extended lengths needed, to make the Super Stock Leaf Springs work properly.
On the other hand, they soon dipped in to the nines, so of cause racers knew what they were doing.
Question is, is my set "normal"?
And what is a good starting point, when it comes to the this ratio?
Any advise from you experienced guys is appreciated.
Thank You.
View attachment 1714982904
I`ve got a new set for my s.s. springs, I don`t think there is "much" diff either way on mine. they are that way a certain extent to help shove down on the tires and support the imperials large amount of weight.

I used modern gas shocks for a C body with the upper bushings changed. They don't look any different from yours except the color, which is easily changed.

I`ve got a new set for my s.s. springs, I don`t think there is "much" diff either way on mine. they are that way a certain extent to help shove down on the tires and support the imperials large amount of weight.

Are they Mopar Perf 4529514 and 50/50 something?

I used modern gas shocks for a C body with the upper bushings changed. They don't look any different from yours except the color, which is easily changed.

But I want to know about these old stuff first. May be than I have to go with another option.
Thanks for the tip.

If you did not do it yet, try pulling and compressing them several times in a row. That may get them feeling more consistent. When they sit for a while the oil has not had a chance to work through the circuit.

If you did not do it yet, try pulling and compressing them several times in a row. That may get them feeling more consistent. When they sit for a while the oil has not had a chance to work through the circuit.
they are supposed to be worked anyway. if I remember right, turn them opposite of being installed (upside down) and fully extend and compress them till there is no slack spots in them. ----old Chrysler mech. told me that.

-
Back