SS Spring Advice

-

Pana.Mopar

Duster Down Under
Reaction score
Just want to ask for any advice on set up on SS Springs.

I've got a '73 Duster that recently ran 13.10 @ 106mph but with a lazy 1.9-2.0 60ft times so it was spinning off the line.

I recently put SS Springs (3600lbs), Competition Engineering Rear Shocks set at 50/50, fronts are 90/10 and it's got 4.10 Sure Grip and it did this time with brand new M/T ET Radials (275/60/15).

Anyone got any tips to fix this issue? Should I try different shocks, spring clamps, slapper bars or Caltracs?

Thanks in advance for your assistance..

Just want to ask for any advice on set up on SS Springs.

I've got a '73 Duster that recently ran 13.10 @ 106mph but with a lazy 1.9-2.0 60ft times so it was spinning off the line.

I recently put SS Springs (3600lbs), Competition Engineering Rear Shocks set at 50/50, fronts are 90/10 and it's got 4.10 Sure Grip and it did this time with brand new M/T ET Radials (275/60/15).

Anyone got any tips to fix this issue? Should I try different shocks, spring clamps, slapper bars or Caltracs?

Thanks in advance for your assistance..

3600`s are to heavy for that car.

you have photos of this set up... i would love to see the car with the wheel/tire set up i have same SS leafs and shocks.

That car needs the 2800 pound springs. 3600 pound springs are for B bodies.

Make sure you have a good gauge! Drop the pressure down to ten psi! Record the temperture, and psi. Go 1 psi up or down depending on how it reacts. Try that and see what happens! Also if you can have somebody record the launch so you can see what the suspension is trying to do! And have fun!

Make sure you have a good gauge! Drop the pressure down to ten psi! Record the temperture, and psi. Go 1 psi up or down depending on how it reacts. Try that and see what happens! Also if you can have somebody record the launch so you can see what the suspension is trying to do! And have fun!

agree w/ rusty springs are too heavy. always go a hair lighter on s.s. springs . are your shocks long enough ?

Pana,got a video? Let's actually see what's responding, before blindly throwing more parts at it. Parts are expensive, video's cheaper ( my take)

Pana,got a video? Let's actually see what's responding, before blindly throwing more parts at it. Parts are expensive, video's cheaper ( my take)

Video would help.

Those tires work with the pressure you have in them and even more. I run them in the 18-24 range depending on the car. One car runs 1.38-1.40 60's and 10.40-10.50's.

DO NOT do a huge burn out. Short, quick hit to clean them off. They tend to get greasy if you hit them with a long burnout. If you can drive around the water and back into the wet area. That's a decent method to keep from picking up water and slinging it into the fenderwells.

The front end is the place where more time is hidden than the rear.

If you're spinning, you can do test short burn outs. If it's making two darker lines on the pavement the width of the tire, your pressure is too low. If it's darker in the center of each tire mark, too much. You want two nice marks on the pavement the width of your tires.

you have photos of this set up... i would love to see the car with the wheel/tire set up i have same SS leafs and shocks.

Here you go BIG-B-Barracuda

00005943_f_zpskk372upx.jpg

00005949_f_zpsfv1red4l.jpg

00005829_f_zpswsq990hi.jpg

00005829_f_zpswsq990hi.jpg

00005946_f_zpsubclxoan.jpg

00005948_f_zpsmc3shhu4.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have video of the launch. I only have it for the burnout. I might try that next time out to start at lower pressure and see what happens.

Video would help.

Those tires work with the pressure you have in them and even more. I run them in the 18-24 range depending on the car. One car runs 1.38-1.40 60's and 10.40-10.50's.

DO NOT do a huge burn out. Short, quick hit to clean them off. They tend to get greasy if you hit them with a long burnout. If you can drive around the water and back into the wet area. That's a decent method to keep from picking up water and slinging it into the fenderwells.

This is the video I've got from the day and the quality is crap..

[ame]https://youtu.be/cjvgMfp8iq8[/ame]

keep your eyes off the flag girl and your reaction time and 60' time will get better.
you were glaring at the start girl as you were driving by. lol
I would be too.
and stay out of the water and a soft burnout , MT's work better on the cool side.

Video would help.

It's bizarre as you hear so many different things with the ET Radials. I'll have to try and few things next I go out.

The car is running straight and true but it's just that 60ft time that sucks. When it hooks up it's awesome!

keep your eyes off the flag girl and your reaction time and 60' time will get better.
you were glaring at the start girl as you were driving by. lol
I would be too.
and stay out of the water and a soft burnout , MT's work better on the cool side.

Bwah ha ha! No wonder my reaction times were 37 seconds. LOL!

I'll try that next time out doing a soft burnout..

It's bizarre as you hear so many different things with the ET Radials. I'll have to try and few things next I go out.

The car is running straight and true but it's just that 60ft time that sucks. When it hooks up it's awesome!

Anytime you ask a question like that on here, that's going to happen! It's different combos, track prep and all that stuff come into play! There is no right answer, just different ways that it works! Just make notes and go to the track and experiment! You'll know when you're going in the right direction! Very nice duster! Have fun! It looked like a good time! Wish i were there! Shane

Do you mind giving a bit more info on your set up? Engine specs, transmission, rear gear, converter, timing, etc. Maybe we are looking in the wrong direction! Thanks. Shane

Do you mind giving a bit more info on your set up? Engine specs, transmission, rear gear, converter, timing, etc. Maybe we are looking in the wrong direction! Thanks. Shane

Hope this helps..

Engine: 383ci, 9.5:1 comp, Mopar Purple 484 cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads (out of box), Edelbrock Performer RPM Dual Plane Intake, Quickfuel 750 DP Carb,

Trans: 727, Trango Shift Kit, Turbo Action 9 1/2" 3800 stall

Diff: 4.10 Sure Grip

That's the basics! To be honest, I'm not sure where the timing is at. I got it on the dyno a few weeks back and had it set up and pulled 315rwhp. Really good and mid power. The dyno tuner did say he couldn't get anymore timing into it as the standard electronic Dizzy clamps were hitting the head and couldn't turn it anymore. He did want to put more timing into it.

Move the wires in your cap so you can get more advance.

-
Back