SS Spring question

-

SwingerMan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I installed a set of 002/003 68 SS springs a few months back on my 69 Swinger. I really like the way they ride and function but the one thing that bugs me is the way the car sits. The pass side is higher leaning to the driver's side and it looks funny from behind. I had a feeling that the car would be a little slanted due to the nature of the SS springs but it is very noticeable. Is there anything I can do to level it out without affecting the function of the springs?
Thanks

How about slipping some shim stock between the spring perch and spring. It will work like a lowering block. Not sure if would affect anything else though :scratch:

This issue comes up a lot when installing those springs. When you throttle up she`ll straighten right out. Those springs are preloaded to compensate for engine torque. If you want them to function the way they were designed to function ,I wouldn`t do a thing. Nice Dart..... do you know the way to San Jose?

Thanks for the ideas guys I guess I am just going to leave it alone and get used to the look. It will look better once I put some decent sized tires under there also. Thanks for the compliment!

What was your reasoning behind installing them? They are really meant for the strip. I had them in my Duster once, but took them out because they rode too high and - as you said - unevenly. So if you're not entirely happy with them, why put up with them - especially on as nice a car as you have there? A good replacement set of HD springs should only run a couple hundred and you might re-cap much of that by selling the SSs.

My goal for the car is show and go eventually the car will have a nice strong stroker motor in it and I want to set up the chasis to handle the extra power. I like the way the car sits with the springs and the lean really isn't that big of deal I just wanted to hear if anyone had a similar experience and if there was anything that could be done. If i ever get tired of them I will definatly keep the HD springs in mind as an alternative.

dartley said:
What was your reasoning behind installing them? They are really meant for the strip. I had them in my Duster once, but took them out because they rode too high and - as you said - unevenly. So if you're not entirely happy with them, why put up with them - especially on as nice a car as you have there? A good replacement set of HD springs should only run a couple hundred and you might re-cap much of that by selling the SSs.

The slight tilt of the car is a case of form not following function. I had the factory preloaded springs on my 69 Super Bee 440-6pak with Dana and 4spd. Nobody ever questioned why the car sat like it did. LOL!

I had the SS springs on my 70 Duster back in 71. It sat the same way, I just got used to it.

You can use ether two 003 or two 002 if you’re just looking for lift and not racing.

Is your battery located in the trunk? If not you should see some difference when it is placed in there for drag racing. The remaining difference is to compensate for hard launching off the line straight.

I never noticed the tilt from the driver's seat and the only people who will be looking at the back of the car are in Chebbies and Phords. Who cares what they think anyway?

It`s the same thing with my Fastback Formula S 383, it sits higher on the passenger side. At first I thought, hey, there`s something wrong here.

I did read in the "how to restore book" that with 383 Formula S you would get 6 leafs with the rear spring. Are they the same as S/S springs?
Sorry SwingerMan don`t mean to highjack your thread.

-
Back