SS SPRINGS NON SS SHOCKS - POSSIBLE?

-
3 seat in 12 years TAINT a bad return on your investment. Usually when people think about leaf springs, they only think about the jounce action.

With leaf springs however, especially the SS springs, the rebound action is just as if not a little more important. They need to be able to extend to allow the most body lift possible. This plants the tires harder.

Lighter than necessary springs allow even more and faster rebound and I think that's what Tom Hoover had in mind. That's why the lighter springs work better. If you do a lot of reading about the SS racing history, it becomes real evident that the 002 and 003 springs were the most prolific, regardless of body style. That's because they react the fastest and the most to drive train torque.

But I know I am preachin to the choir cause you already knew all that. lol

Tom Hoover said, "in a mopar drag seminar" in okc one time, that imperial shocks worked well, and to always ere to the light side when buying s.stock springs. we ran 002-003 springs on a hemi belvedere. they are shorter than b body springs, and the car was way heavier than they were designed for. they moved the rear end forward too, because they`re shorter. they worked well, but didn`t last too long under that kind of stress. no pinion snubber, it just tore them up. no clamps on the back half of the springs. had many chevy guys tell us that our springs were coming apart, because they were separating so much on take off. If I remember right, we used 3 sets in about 12 yrs. of hard racing. wish we would have had todays tires back then ! jfyi also have a set of 002-003 springs for sale right now. I think if I were going to use them on a street car, I`d run two driver side(003) springs.-bob

So if you buy shocks for a late '60s Chrysler Imperial they are a bolt-on for a Dart with the S/S springs?
Looking them up on the KYB site for example,

'69 Dart rear: KG5511, Extended Length 21.57", Compressed Length 13.39", Stroke 8.19", Upper Mount E1-L/E(17.5), Lower Mount E1-L/E(17.5).

'69 Imperial rear: KG5512, Extended Length 22.64", Compressed Length 13.98", Stroke 8.66", Upper Mount E2(12.8x41.3), Lower Mount E1-L/E(17.5).

I wonder what's different about the upper mount? No idea what the letters/numbers mean.

Yes they are a bolt on.....BUT, today's shocks are not always the right length. The Imperial shocks USED to be the hot ticket.

But I have noticed that most of them now are about the same length. So pay close attention to the extended length. Make sure it is at least 2" longer extended length than the A body shock. 2.5" wouldn't hurt.

Most of the listings I have looked through recently don't show much if any length change. I guess they wanted to save money by not offering the correct lengths. Just make sure you look at that before ordering shocks.

Super stock springs have gone in the dumpster at my house for years, much better choices out there for a street car.

So if you buy shocks for a late '60s Chrysler Imperial they are a bolt-on for a Dart with the S/S springs?
Looking them up on the KYB site for example,

'69 Dart rear: KG5511, Extended Length 21.57", Compressed Length 13.39", Stroke 8.19", Upper Mount E1-L/E(17.5), Lower Mount E1-L/E(17.5).

'69 Imperial rear: KG5512, Extended Length 22.64", Compressed Length 13.98", Stroke 8.66", Upper Mount E2(12.8x41.3), Lower Mount E1-L/E(17.5).

I wonder what's different about the upper mount? No idea what the letters/numbers mean.
The A bodies have a stud & nut and the Imperial shocks are mounted with a bolt and a steel sleeve in the rubber on the top part of the shock that is the difference. I bought a set and found this out the hard way.

ANYONE have the link to the mancini racing front leaf hangers that will drop it about 2 inches? i cant seem to find them.

don`t remember exactly, but I had to make new bushings for the imperial shocks to bolt on my 68 fastback. ended up w/ a set of caltracs for cheap. the imperial shocks are longer than stated in the previous posts. they are for sale if any one is interested, they`ll bolt right up .!

002-003 springs too. the drivers side is good, the pass side looks a little weak tho. will sell for the price of 1 s.s.spring. phone pics upon request.

Probably been stated by now id hope, but if you would like to use stock shocks w/SS springs, you just need 2 inch extension brackets/tabs so they 'the shocks' don't bind the rear ends movement when the springs plant the tires - fwiw unless you have the softer SS springs, nothing will soften the ride and you will always bunny hop the rear tires over speed bumps :)

I wish I remembered the application, but I found some Ford truck rear shocks from early 1980s F150s that bolted in and were a good deal stiffer than stock, and great for road handling. This is the opposite case from drag racing, where you would want the tires to bite for launching a car.
As I didn't have money then for new springs, the shocks added the stiffness I was trying for.

-
Back