SSBC conversion

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
Just got my SSBC disc coversion kit today and looking forward to putting them on. How was the install for thoses that have used them? Are there any pitfalls I should be looking out for? Any useful tips that you can pass on before I start would be great. I appreciate the input.

they're kits rule. I have put on about 10 of theirs. im doing 4 wheel disc right now on a 67 cuda convertible. pretty straight forward. pm me if you have questions.

redfastback said:
they're kits rule. I have put on about 10 of theirs. im doing 4 wheel disc right now on a 67 cuda convertible. pretty straight forward. pm me if you have questions.
Yes I agre. I had to grind a little off the adapter braket on one kit I put on, but it could of been the spindle that was the difference. The other 2 kits were perfect. These kits are very complete!

I used their kit on my 69 Swinger. Everyhting went fine. One thing though. I ordered the polished calipers and for that kit it uses a slightly different caliper but the instructions don't make any reference to that for installing the pieces parts. Some of the parts in the kit are for the calipers that are powdercoated and those mount slightly different. I did have to call their tech line because of the slight confusion in the instructions, but once I let them know that I had the polished calipers then everything was straightened out and they went on with no problem. Love the disc brakes too!

thanks guys. I will be starting this project as soon as my car gets back from the paint shop. Hopefully by early November. I am really looking forward to having disc brakes.

The instructions state you can use existing brake lines. Did you guys plumb brand new brakes lines or use the existing lines and adapters from the kit? I think my existing brake lines are fair for being 40 years old but think new lines would be way better with a new brake system. Wondering if I should go with pre-bent OEM/stainless lines from one of the top companies, and then use the adapters in the kit for ease of plumbing? Any preferences guys?

I went with all new stainless steel from Year One. They fit really good and all the right bends were there too. My original lines would have worked fine but I was doing a total ground up resto so needless to say, new brake lines. Your original bends and ends will work fine with the new brakes. The kit comes with new braided hoses to swap out with your old ones. But everything else will work.

I am considering the SSBC for my 65 Signet. I like that you can keep the 4"BC. Can you use 14x5.5 rallyes? Also-0 the kit doesn't nee a proportioning valve-which is not in the kit rigst? do you need one-or because it is a disc brake master cylinder you don't need it? thanks, guys.

yes you still need one, all disc cars need to set the brake bias between front/rear. the master is for disc since it only has 1 residual pressure valve for the rear drums.

redfastback is correct. I had to change out my proportioning valve to a disc brake valve. But the brake lines still attached the same without any wierd bending or manipulating.

cool good to know about the line setup. I will have a 8 3/4 rear in the back so I need to check to see if the rear kit will work for my car. If anyone has changed out the rear-end on a little a-body and used the same rear brake line kit let me know. I imagine it will be different than the 7 1/4 and I may need to build my own lines. Thanks. Car goes to the shop today for paint. Yipppppeeee

Thinking of doing my 69 Dart GTS 440. I am keeping the 5 x 4 sbc as well and purchased the 14" x 5.5J rims that came from a car that already had front disks.

Is there anything that the kit DOES NOT come with that I might need?

Thanks

Chasb

I didn't get it done yet. I did my dads a few months ago. It was a very complete kit. It had everything. The kit does not come with a distribution block for the 66 and earlier cars that had a single master cylinder. I am am bypassing the early single master cylinder distribution block according to an article from a 2004 mopar magazine. After 1967 it was required to have the later style distribution block. You should not have an issue with that since yours is a 69 and probably came with a dual MC. It does not come with a new rear brake hose but it does include the front hoses. I'm also replumbing with stainless steel lines front to back.

oh..the only other thing is that the kit may not have the proper/exact adapter fittings for plumbing the proportioning valve. My Dad's kit only came with one and we needed two. Thats was an easy fix at NAPA.

hey red, i need to pick your brain if you don't mind, my father and i are installing the ssbc kit on my 69 valiant. you seem to be the go-to guy for this stuff. problem is, the bolts they sent me aren't long enough and certain things really dont line up, would you happen to have pictures or some advice for us on installing it?? i would very much appreciate it

Yes I agre. I had to grind a little off the adapter braket on one kit I put on, but it could of been the spindle that was the difference. The other 2 kits were perfect. These kits are very complete!

Complete?! yall must have lucked out, b/c im missing all sorts of washers , the bolts aren't long enough, is fuckin crazy, and i need to get it done, so any help would be a blessing

-
Back