SSBC Disk brake conversion kits

-

68 Coronet RT

68 GTS # 508 in Registry
Reaction score
Has anyone used the SSBC disk brake conversion kit ? For the manual brakes do you have to replace the factory master cylinder or is it ok to use.

i used them on my '59 Belvedere...works great...came with a master cyl...
I use them on my Dart. But you need to remove the brass check valve in the factory master cylinder for the front brakes so that the line pressure will release when you let off the pedal.

Do some more searching around.
Not everyone has positive results with their kits.
Most seemed to be related to mismatched (generic) parts.

I have them on my 65 Belvedere front and rear. Installed 2003, still going today. Also installed them on all four in a 73 Cuda back in 2007.Still going with that one too. Both cars do not have power brakes and stop very well.
My 2 cents..

I put the SSBC kit on my '71 Dart GT about 12 years ago. It is a very complete kit and allowed me to keep the 5 on 4" small bolt pattern Rallye wheels (14" X 5 1/2"). This was important to me as I also have a factory installed 3.23:1 sure-grip 8 3/4" rear-end. Over the years I've put about 6,000 miles on them. I used the master cylinder that came with the kit (from Mancini Racing (~$830 then)).

I've had their 4 piston caliper kit on the front of my Duster for 18 years now. I have no complaints, I just ordered a set of replacement pads, I think they were $40, but the rotors were about $170 each, a little pricey.

-
Back