SSBC front disk brake converion on 67 cuda, no pressure, HELP

-

phf

Reaction score
converted the front brakes to the SSBC disk brake kit with 4 piston calipers and non-power master cylinder. bench bled the master cylinder and cleaned out the lines. after complete install bled the master cylinder again. bled the brakes individually starting from furthest to the master cylinder(pass back) and working my way forward. ZERO PRESSURE after 5 bleeds. any suggestions?

you got fluid at each wheel when bleeding, with some pressure behind it?
is there a valve in the system?

the fluid comes out, but there are no air bubbles. define valve

Sounds like the pistons are pushed to far in the caliper housing.Remove the bleeder screw and push in compressed air with a air compressor.This will push the pistons out and seat the pads against the rotor.Insert the bleeder screw and re-bleed.

ps:The pistons should be coated with clean brake fluid before being installed in the caliper.

Hope this helps.

gonna try it out, but doubt its the thing to do. u c, there is also no pressure at the back drums

Is you pedal rod adjusted properly? It shoud seat on the master cylinder and keep the pedal all the was up ( with a slight amount of slack). The valve Sanguine was talking about would be a proportioning valve ( it gives the correct proportioning for the front disc/ rear drum setup) It would also require a residual valve ( that keep 2psi on the rear brakes at all times fro the drums to work properly). They can both be had in what is called a combination valve.
For you not to be getting any pressure at all I would start looking at the master. I'm not saying it's bad, but if your brake pedal isn't giving it the proper travel then it would be like pushing on the pedal slower and not as far. Kind of like compareing 1.6 ratio rocker arms to a 1.5.... the travel isn't the same so you get differant results.

have you tried gravity bleeding? how are you bleeding it? with no pressure, there has to be air in the lines. i have installed their kits numerous times with no problems.

gravity bleeding revealed that there is no air in the system(no fluid came out when the bleeder screws were opened). the kit came with the proportioning valve, but it said that the installation of that wasn't necessary. should i try installing it and c what happens?

actually, if no fluid comes out, there is air trapped somewhere. they should "bleed" a little bit when opened. how are you bleeding at the wheels? are you pumping till pressure, holdiing the pedal and then the other guy at the wheel opens the bleeder til your foot goes to the floor and then close it again?

-
Back