Staggered tire size options?

-

Evan Dutch

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’m preparing my new wheel and tire package for my 1971 Plymouth scamp. I’ll be running 15x7 cop car wheels on all four corners, 255/60R15 on the rears. I’m unsure of what size tire to run on the front, car has discs brakes on the front and rear. I’m looking for a nice street car look, widish tires in the rear and narrow ones in the front (narrow while also maintaining safety). Car will be for cruising and driving around as much as I can, I won’t be doing autocross or canyon carving or the like.

Any recommendations and pics would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:
225/60/15 is the widest you can fit up front on a set of cop wheels, and those will be close. A 215/60/15 is a safer bet. A 205/65/15 would work too, but finding a match to the rears might be an issue.

225/60/15 is the widest you can fit up front on a set of cop wheels, and those will be close. A 215/60/15 is a safer bet. A 205/65/15 would work too, but finding a match to the rears might be an issue.
Would a 195/65r15 be too small for the front?

Would a 195/65r15 be too small for the front?
I have a 195/65x15 on a 3 1/2"centerline on my 62 savoy. It was the only size tire I could find locally quickly, and I wanted to make a race date.
I think it looks ridiculous on my car, too short, too wide for the rim it's on.
It might work in the smaller wheelwell of your scamp....but it wouldn't be my first choice.

195/65r15 front
25560r15 rear

What do you think?

IMG_8971.jpeg

IMG_8974.jpeg

I think that is a good size on the rear, and the 195 on the front works, cause the wheel opening is so much smaller than mine, and your wheel is wider. Looks good. Now put dog dishes on em.

I think that is a good size on the rear, and the 195 on the front works, cause the wheel opening is so much smaller than mine, and your wheel is wider. Looks good. Now put dog dishes on em.
Got some in a box at home. I’ll slap em on

Just remember Duster, Demon, Dart Sport have more room.

Whenever I run staggered tires, and I plan to in the future, I like running the same overall diameter, or as close as I can possibly get. With the size you've chosen for the rear though, that will be impossible. I like doing it that way, so that I can get by with carrying one spare.

I'm curious what you mean by "finding a match to the rears might be an issue". I was going to go with the 205/65 since the coopers are not made in 205/60. You think 65's in the front and 60's in the rear would be noticeable?

Edit: actually, I don't think they come in 205/65 either... its slim pickens with tires...

Last edited:
I'm curious what you mean by "finding a match to the rears might be an issue". I was going to go with the 205/65 since the coopers are not made in 205/60. You think 65's in the front and 60's in the rear would be noticeable?

Edit: actually, I don't think they come in 205/65 either... its slim pickens with tires...

That’s exactly what I mean. There are 205/65/15’s out there, but the pretty much the only tires that come in 255/60/15 are BFG TA’s and Cooper Cobra’s. And neither of those come in a 205/65/15.

-
Back