stalling in gear

-

hairy72

Reaction score
i have a 72 duster 318 with 670 street avenger,accel billet distributor, headers mild cam. When i put it into gear it stalls. I noticed my coil was leaking so i replaced it and it didnt stall for a couple of weeks now its stalling again when i put it into gear.can somebody help me out.

Are you using an MSD box or a Mopar electronic ignition? Points? Is the coil mounted vertically or horizontally? Are you using a ballast resistor? What are your plugs gapped at?

it is an accel electronic distributor no ballast resistor and its an edelbrock performer cam.

the instructions for my distributor said i neede to bypass the ballast resistor and use one of there coils.

it stopped stalling for a couple of days but now its stalling again.

the fuel filter has a little bit of stuff in it at the bottom

some of that run of the mill crap or water in your carb
or maybe fuel pump is at low pressur.
Do you drive the car every day?

Just got board and had to put my ten cents worth in.

i drive the car everyday the fuel pressure is always 5 or 6 psi in the fuel filter is some brown stuff.

ive thought of everything that i could of but it still stalls when its put into gear. i need help

Fuel pressure is okay, but that tells you nothing about the flow rate. I suspect it might be rust in the tank plugging the pickup inside. Brown crud in the carb filter is the first sign. Next time it stalls do not restart it if possible, raise the hood pull the aircleaner and see if you get a good pump shot out of the accel pump - if not - BINGO !

Hairy,

I'm assuming your timing is with the vacuum canister line removed? My old Accel dual point did have a vacuum advance, so I'm assuming yours does too, but I may be wrong.

66dartgt is right, try what he says and get back to us.

have you replaced the coil with a known good one? what is the idle speed in park? did your distributor come loose and retard the timing? are ALL ports on the carb plugged? a bad rubber cap allowing a vacuum leak?

i checked the timing with the canister plugged. I put a new accel coil on and my idle speed in park is 1000 rpm.ive checked all the vaccum lines and there fine.

Have you adjusted the idle mixture screws for the highest vacuum possible when hot and in park?

-
Back