Stalling on very light acceleration

-

cudadriver

Reaction score
I have a '68 Barracuda with a 318 2bbl. when I just barely give it gas it wants to stall. I have an nos rebuild kit I am going to use, but what else could be wrong?

vacuum leak check your booster hose or pcv may be disconnected if its getting gas. if not maybe plugged filter

That is a common carb. trait. The accellerater pump is bad, needs a rebuild.
Look down the carb (engine NOT running) move the throttle linkage slowly, I venture to say the pump is not squirting gas, now move it faster, I bet it squirts.

check your timing,also make sure the accelerator pump is working.sounds like a lean condition.check for vac leaks as well.and with that,welcome aboard.

Like mentioned the accelerator pump is the prime suspect. They were made from leather and eventually just wear out. One other thing you might want to check is the vacuum advance. When it goes bad it can have an off idle hesitation.

BTW: You say you have a NOS rebuild kit (as in a new old stock kit left over from the 60's or 70's) for the carb. Make sure the accelerator pump isn't dried up and bad. I'm betting it's dried up cause leather dries out setting.

If you can "step through" the flat spot, a leak in the timed (ported) vacuum circuit would be a reasonable place to begin looking. The response of the accelerator pump can be verified by looking down the carb throat while slowly opening the throttle.

-
Back