Started 727 Teardown

-

scott657

Reaction score
I watched @70aarcuda Video a few times and I am using @VOETOM manual step by step
So far all going great. bushings even look good so far. By the way thanks @MOPAROFFICIAL
IMG_2402.jpg
IMG_2402.jpg
IMG_2404.jpg
IMG_2405.jpg
IMG_2406.jpg

Awesome. I have built 2 of my own 727 transmissions and I found it to be really fun. Interesting to learn. I had a good book to guide me. I did find a nice series on youtube of a transmission guy doing one.

@scott657 looks great! Cant wait to watch this and see the progress. I'll have to get one of these special 70aarcuda's everyone is always saying such great things about!

Continued initial tear down removed over run clutch and rar support but probably didn't need to. According to book there may be two thrust washers between rear clutch retainer and planetary assembly I only found the 1 (third pic)
IMG_2407.jpg
IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg
IMG_2411.jpg
IMG_2412.jpg
IMG_2413.jpg
IMG_2415.jpg
IMG_2416.jpg
IMG_2417.jpg
IMG_2418.jpg

Last edited:
OK here's where I ask for suggestions on rebuild kits and materials
Here are some parameters
The limitations to the stress on the trans
1. no bigger than a 360 engine
2. no more than 10:1 compression pump gas motor
3. no more than 6000 RPM
4. probably no more than 2800 stall converter
5. 3200# vehicle
6. 3.40 to 3.55 gearing (Unless a GVOD falls from the sky and hits me in the head)
I would like to replace steels and frictions, front and rear bands. maybe a bolt in sprag. all gaskets and seals. And a shift kit. I haven't seen all the bushing surfaces yet but the ones I have seen are in very good shape.
All suggestions are welcome
Thank You FABO

I haven't found a rebuild kit that has all thin Red Eagles so you can add one to the direct clutch; so I buy frictions separately.

Awesome. I have built 2 of my own 727 transmissions and I found it to be really fun. Interesting to learn. I had a good book to guide me. I did find a nice series on youtube of a transmission guy doing one.

Before I converted my 6 to RB I lost reverse on the 904. I had a junk core so I took it apart enough to remove the Band. Then installed it . Worked out great.Very rewarding doing things yourself. Now I have a back up RB 727 that I would like to do someday so all the info. I can get now the better. That's why I love this site ! :popcorn:

This is @VOETOM recipe for street727
Accumulator-Stock, aluminum
Frictions (BW or Raybestos) smooth rear, parallel or waffle front
.022 inch per disk with TF-2 Kit flat snap ring
kick down lever 3.8
Kick down band Name brand flex; cast if available Lining BW or raybestos
bolt in over run clutch
low reverse band stock
TF-2 Kit steels stock
Thrust washers quality stock replacements
Any place I can do this in a one stop shop.
Any other recipes are welcome. I'm new to this so I need an expanation on chosen parts

Continued initial tear down removed over run clutch and rar support but probably didn't need to. According to book there may be two thrust washers between rear clutch retainer and planetary assembly I only found the 1 (third pic) View attachment 1715509438 View attachment 1715509439
View attachment 1715509440 View attachment 1715509441 View attachment 1715509442 View attachment 1715509443 View attachment 1715509444 View attachment 1715509445 View attachment 1715509446 View attachment 1715509447

The input shaft end bottoms on the output shaft end and has the 1 inch or so round thrust washer between them.
The snap ring on the output shaft keeps the planetary set down on the Ring gear.
No big thrust washer between the planetary set and the direct clutch drum.

You probably figured that out already.:D

Last edited:
If you're dead set on the 3.8 kickdown lever, go for it. There's nothing wrong with the 5.0 lever. People trash talk them all the time, BUT as long as you use the wide Hemi kickdown band WITH the 5.0 lever, it will work badass.

I'm not dead set on anything Rusty, I'm looking for a good set up to meet my requirements. That was a suggestion from Mr. Hand's book. If a bone stock rebuild will suffice I will go with that with the exception of the Transgo TF-2 Shift kit

I always us the same amount of clutch clearance no matter how many plates. Clearance changes the shift. .022 per plate? No way; there are 7 plate packs out there now. .022 would never be enough for one plate; and .154 would be way too much for seven. BW or Raybestos? Nope. Thin smooth .061 Red Eagles in the direct for sure. Maybe some of your info is just old. Nobody sells a complete kit I would buy; just not the best stuff all in one package available. My customers are happy when I drill out the separator plate as per the TransGo instructions and leave it at that. A good 1-2 is all that's needed on the street. I guess that new manual valve so the converter charges in park, but it doesn't read the same in park as neutral anyway with the new valve, so there's that. Just start it in neutral.

I ordered the transgo super deluxe kit this morning, and a transgo tf2 shift kit. Ill probably get a bolt in sprag and LR band and call it good

My customers are happy when I drill out the separator plate as per the TransGo instructions and leave it at that. A good 1-2 is all that's needed on the street. I guess that new manual valve so the converter charges in park, but it doesn't read the same in park as neutral anyway with the new valve, so there's that. Just start it in neutral.

Yep, my experience as well.

Cleaned up a lot of the component everything "looks good" so far bushings and surfaces pass the fingernail test so far. Only thing wrong so far is frictions were delaminated and L/R band was starting to flake at the edges. waiting for a couple of parts from A&A(great folks) Bolt in overrun clutch, 3.8 front servo lever and billet rear servo retainer.

IMG_2435.jpg

-
Back