Started a winter project.... Heater/AC Box

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, I tore my dash apart. Replacing instrument cluster, heater core, dash pad, new bushings in wipers, and the such.
Anyways....
I would like to post a little about the box. Might help somebody that's never been here before know/understand. I might post a video explaining some about this.... (keep in mind, I'm a hobbyist, not a professional) :)

DSCN0803.JPG

DSCN0804.JPG

any suggestions on how to pull it out without pulling the dash?

and any way to test them?
im thinking mine is leaking, and that is why it wasnt hooked up when i bought the car
i would like to test it, but im not liking the idea of flooding the car with antifreeze

hi dyimirage; you can test radiators or heater cores yourself. you need a radiator pressure pump , or just a small air compressor. start by draining rad or heater core, use only water put towels down in car for core test and try to see the core. pump up the radiator to about 10LBs check your core for leaks. you can check the core by itself or rad alone . with a air compressor get short hoses , make a block off for one outlet and hook up a fitting for air with a ball valve for the other outlet. put about 10LBspressure in check for leaks. for core same way 5/8 or 3/4 hoses. hope this helps anyone out there. mikeh

any suggestions on how to pull it out without pulling the dash?

and any way to test them?
im thinking mine is leaking, and that is why it wasnt hooked up when i bought the car
i would like to test it, but im not liking the idea of flooding the car with antifreeze
#1 reason you buy a car and it's disconnected: It leaked! mine was disconnected also when it bought it. I didn't even check it, just going to replace it.
Common signs heater core is leaking
- smell anti-freeze when in use
- puts a mist of fog anti-freeze on the window, making it smear to get off.
- you have anti-freeze on you floor board, even the smallest amount.

As far as heater core replacement, some can be done in the car. Others need the box removed. easiest way to remove the box is to open up vision. Removing the glove box is a big, ash tray, and the such. Not that this has to be done, just simplifies the process of both in and out.

Got the new heater core from O'reilly's today. Cost is 43.99. Murray, limited lifetime warranty made in Mexico. The paper that came with it said "Spectra" on it. I got it for 23.99 because I went there when they said and it wasn't in, so I told them I wasted my gas on their word. I have about a 40 minute drive to the store. They knocked 20 bucks off to cover my gas :) .
Anyways, looks like it will be a perfect fit.

DSCN0808.JPG

Wipers assembly is back in with new bushings and seals. Now, I can continue the heater core/box project :)
Ya know the story, a little here and a little there....

-
Back