Started New Project

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
About the beginning of last August Theresa and I picked up this car from a guy in the Orlando area.
20210806_131852.jpg
20210806_162707.jpg

He called me about 2 months earlier , like in July , asking me if I would be interested in buying it. He told me he had come down with Colon Cancer and his Doctor told him he wasn't going to beat it. He told me what parts he had and what his plans were for it before he got sick. Long story short , we now have it here trying to make up our minds what we really want to do with it. Since we got back from our roadtrip adventure, and sold the Cuda off, I've been going through the parts to see what is really here and what isn't.

It sounds like you knew the guy ... Do like your dying friend wanted to do with it as a tribute.
I didn't know the guy. But I'm thinking of at least get a good start on it and not part it out. But it may go in a different direction than what he was planning!

Here's a few more pics of what it has already mocked in ! Nothing is actually installed. He stuck things together to get it rolling for the sale.
It has 17" x 8" big bolt aluminum Rallye Wheels . 4 wheel Disc Brakes, vented Willwood I think. Body is nice and straight and close to paint ready. Fiberglass Hood and has a Hemi Scoop for it also.
20210806_162707.jpg

Has a Dana 60 he said with a trackpak, 4.88 gear in it Hotchkiss rear swaybar. Brand New performance radials all around.
Custom fuel tank (big). This was gonna be a cruiser, With AC !

20210807_112829.jpg

Has a 1967 383 with 915 heads all rebuilt by his friend that has a Machine shop in his area. This guy was a body man and they would swap labor between them. The engine sat in his shop un painted and got surface rust all over it. New Edelbrock Crossram and new carbs with linkage. Willwood M/C and hydraulic clutch setup. Heater has been removed and filled in. Looks like fenderwell headers in the past also filled in.
20210807_135013.jpg

Has QA1 front K frame with all new front suspension , hotchkiss front swaybar. Frame has been tied together , has torque boxes welded in front and rear and also has front stiffeners from the firewall to the upper shock mount. He was building this car for Autocross.

20210808_095427.jpg

What year is that Al? I'm sure you could do it justice if you're interested in doing such. I figured now that you don't have the Cuda you found another Mopar to play with. Good luck in what ever you decide. 65'

Pulled engine and 4 speed trans the other day , to open it up and check it out.
20211201_122500.jpg

20211201_115747.jpg

Pulled the heads and see it has +.040 pistons
20211201_115534.jpg

Closed Chamber 915s all fresh !
20211201_115452.jpg

What year is that Al? I'm sure you could do it justice if you're interested in doing such. I figured now that you don't have the Cuda you found another Mopar to play with. Good luck in what ever you decide. 65'
IT's a 67 GT. 273 CI , but he went with a 383 !

Be very tempted to do a restomod.
How much work to add AC back to it?
Build it the way you want, I'm sure you will do it justice! Amazing base to start with!:thumbsup:

Be very tempted to do a restomod.
How much work to add AC back to it?
Build it the way you want, I'm sure you will do it justice! Amazing base to start with!:thumbsup:
Has a brand new in the box AC kit for it ! haven't really checked it out much, Just opened the box and YEP that's an AC kit ! Need to look it over better. See if it has brackets ect !

Last edited:
Going through the 383 , pulled the pan to look in there and it didn't have a windage tray, So I pulled one off the shelf and installed it ! Put on some new paint , factory Valve covers and Timing cover and looking better. It has a Hyd Voodo Cam he said. Has mech rockers and all the pushrods fell out . Need to get some new lifters.

That intake has got to go ! Yea it looks cool , but I want a driver ,
20211208_172120.jpg
20211208_172141.jpg

Waiting on some parts to finish it up

That has a lot of neat parts. Sounds like a fun project.
Yes it does , There is also a ton more new stuff still in boxes. All restored grille , tail trim emblems you name it it's all new or restored. Some I will use and some will get sold off I guess to help the project keep moving !

It will take some $$, BUT body work and machine work is done, so that's a HUGE plus!
Maybe dbl check cam to be sure of what you have?

No valve relief cuts in the pistons? And closed chamber heads does this pose a valve clearance problem?

Oh yeah and awesome car by the way it's going to be one of a kind, I love it.

To be on safe side I would dbl chk everything on the engine. Hyd cam? Everything I've read here is hyd lifters are junk, which would lead me to lean towards mechanical. My 0.02.

To be on safe side I would dbl chk everything on the engine. Hyd cam? Everything I've read here is hyd lifters are junk, which would lead me to lean towards mechanical. My 0.02.
That's what I was thinking. Can you run Mech lifters on a Hyd Cam ? That's my next thing to find out.

-
Back