Starter? Coil? Bad ground?

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Just recently the car has been having starting problems. It is a 318 with headers, with electronic ignition, Mopar Orange box, stock coil, and a standard size Mopar starter.

The car will start fine on a cold start, and I can drive it anywhere. As soon as I shut it off, and it is warm, it will not start again until I let it sit and cool down. When I turn the key, it makes a clicking sound, like a bad ground. So, I checked all my ground connections (except for the strap between the back of the engine, and the firewall?). They all were clean. So, I am wondering if perhaps the headers got the starter too hot, and now that is what is causing it to not start? And then when it cools down, it starts again? Or does this sound like a bad coil? I read somewhere that when a coil gets too hot, it will do the same thing, but when it cools down, it will start again. Oh, and I already tried changing the ballast resisitor, and it didn't change a thing.

sounds like a starter to me. if it was the coil it would turn over. get you a mini starter and try that.

sounds like a starter to me. if it was the coil it would turn over. get you a mini starter and try that.

Haha I was hoping it wasn't that.. I hate changing starters..

Anyone know what the mini starters are going for? I also heard you can use a Dakota starter, if you grind off a mounting flange?

Mike bring that thing up to Ft.Mc,does your buddy still want that 360?give me a call,Sid.

That is common.

The headers release too much heat, the starter gets hot, and needs more amperage from the battery to get it to turn.

If the battery is old, and you plan on replacing it, get the biggest battery that fits, the one with the highest cold cranking amps.

Also, make sure the cables are in good shape and the positive cable is the proper thickness. A thin cable causes you to lose power from the battery to the starter. try an additional ground from the starter mounting bolt to the battery as a temporary test to see if it helps.

Another option is a heat shield you can fabricate it yourself. It will keep the starter cooler.

Sure sounds like heat soak to me. I think you may want to try some of the heat sheild made just for starters sold by Jegs or Summit.

Haha I was hoping it wasn't that.. I hate changing starters..

Anyone know what the mini starters are going for? I also heard you can use a Dakota starter, if you grind off a mounting flange?

I asked for a Dakota starter and it dropped right in, no grinding of anything. I did remove the extension for the electrical connectors and had to cut the rubber web that kept the battery cable and start cable spaced to fit the full size starter terminals but that was it.

Depending on the headers the full size starter may be trapped. I have hedmans and just disconnected the outer tie rod from the center link and turned the wheel left to the stop and was able to slide it out.

I asked for a Dakota starter and it dropped right in, no grinding of anything. I did remove the extension for the electrical connectors and had to cut the rubber web that kept the battery cable and start cable spaced to fit the full size starter terminals but that was it.

Depending on the headers the full size starter may be trapped. I have hedmans and just disconnected the outer tie rod from the center link and turned the wheel left to the stop and was able to slide it out.

What year of Dakota do I ask for?

And I have Hooker Comps. I somewhat remember putting the starter in without the headers off, but I can't quiiite remember. Hopefully it will come out easily, but Murphy's Law will probably kick in.

I happen to own a 99 Dakota so that is what I asked for but there is no difference for any year v6/v8 Dakota or Ram except for maybe the configuration of the electrical connections. I also waited a couple of days and returned the full size starter to cover the core charge on the rebuilt mini.

With the Hedman headers the tubes are far enough away from the starter that heat soak has not been an issue but i can't say for all headers.

I agree that it is heat soak problem. First use a heat shield or wrap on the starter and then heat wrap the header also. I heard that heat wrapping the header will also in the HP department by keeping the system cleaner-less rust inside do to the increase in heat. This was a problem in 1949 with the then new Olds Rocket 88 V8. Hot starts on a 6 volt battery was a problem-they when to a 12 volt system shortly after that. The "test" was to pour water over the starter to cool it before starting.
Lynn

The least expensive starter blanket from Summit is $17.95. The part number is SUM-350118. Given the addition of the "pick fee" and shipping, it may be cheaper to inquire locally in your area unless you are getting a bulk order.

-
Back