Starter heat issue?

-

bricud

Cuda's Cuda
Reaction score
I'm building my 408 stroker and have it assembled on the engine run stand. I noticed that the Hooker headers run about 1/4" from the starter and wondering if I would have a heat issue. Do people run a heat shield for this, or should I consider a different starter? Also, with the starter mounted, and that temporary mounting plate, I was trying to get the starter positioned correctly to start the engine. The engine has not been started yet. When I do engage the starter, it turns the flywheel but the starter gear remains engaged with the flywheel. Will this automatically disengage when the engine starts or should I look to adjust the starter? Any experience or input on this is helpful.

Thanks,

Brian

Starter 1.jpeg

Starter 2.jpeg

You need to adjust the starter mount so the starter disengages when you let go of the switch. If not, you will damage it. 65'

My avatar has a 408 with a mini-starter (I assume that is a mini-starter you have.) The Hooker SuperComp headers (1-3/4") run fairly close to it. This is its 3rd summer and so far, no issues. I'd run it as is if that's a mini-starter.

As for the pinion gear hanging up, you want to get that adjusted out from the crank centerline a hair as you don't want it hanging up.

Last edited:
Others here have made good suggestions, go with that and slap the Easy button.

615SufRh9dL.jpg

-
Back